- Name: Deepak Bhole
- Targeted release: Fedora 10
- Last updated: October 29, 2008
- Percentage of completion: 100%
- Liveconnect support in Fedora 10 is complete. The new Java(TM) plugin (IcedTeaPlugin) provides this feature.
Benefit to Fedora
Currently, there is no open source solution that provides Liveconnect support. Anyone wanting to use sites that use Liveconnect had to use the Sun Java(TM) plugin and consequently Sun's JVM. The new Java(TM) plugin in Fedora provides a fully open source solution, allowing users to use those sites with OpenJDK which is included in Fedora.
Liveconnect support work is complete. It is part of the latest java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin RPM, built in dist-f10.
No special hardware is needed for testing the new plugin. It should be tested on standard Fedora supported architectures.
Since there are no known automated tests for a Java(TM) plugin, testing consists of trying out as many different applet based pages as possible. We have tried a wide variety of sites to that end (Gaming, Banking, Information services, etc.) to ensure that the plugin works.
John wants to solve a jigsaw puzzle at jigzone. He is running a Fedora 9 system, with java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin (GCJ Web Plugin) installed.
To play, he has to:
- Download the Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment
- Extract the contents
- Point Firefox to use the new plugin, and make sure that the existing GCJ Web Plugin is not loaded
- Browse to www.jigzone.com, and load/solve the puzzle
With Fedora 10, John simply needs to ensure that java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin is installed, and then he can open up a browser, navigate to the site and start solving the puzzle!
GCJ Web Plugin can be used as a fallback but there are no known regressions with respect to functionality provided by GCJ Web Plugin.
Since this is a web plugin and not a standalone application, there is no associated documentation.
The section on the plugin located here in the release notes for Fedora 10 applies.
Comments and Discussion
- See []