- Name: Dan Mashal
- Email: dan.mashal AT fedoraproject.org
- Name: Wolfgang Ulbrich
- Email chat-to-me AT raveit.de
- Name: Rex Dieter
- Email: rdieter AT fedoraproject.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-07-22
- Percentage of completion: 70%
- Rex Dieter of i18n team has offered support to update imsettings for MATE Desktop
1st basic package mate-common has been approved, the package has been built from source and works great and happily coexists with Gnome 3.
MATE is a traditional Gnome 2 like desktop user interface. Many users have expressed interest in this feature since Fedora 15 in which Fedora was switched from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.
For the advanced user that doesn't want a cutting edge desktop and just wants to keep it simple this is perfect for them.
The popularity of MATE Desktop is very high. It is one of the 2 choices of DE's for Linux Mint which is one of the most popular Linux distros out right now.
Benefit to Fedora
- Attract new users to Fedora.
- Give users another choice and freedom to choose what type of DE/WM they would like to use. This is one of the core foundations of the Fedora project.
List of packages being imported in to fedora:
mate-common -- Approved.
mate-doc-utils -- Approved.
mate-corba -- Approved.
libmatenwck -- Approved.
mate-conf -- Approved.
libmatecomponent -- Approved
mate-mime-data -- Approved
mate-vfs -- under review
libmate -- under review
libmatecanvas -- under review
libmatekeyring -- Approved
mate-keyring -- Approved
libmateui -- under review
libmatenotify -- Approved.
mate-dialogs -- Approved
mate-desktop -- Approved.
mate-file-manager -- under review
mate-window-manager -- under review
mate-settings-daemon -- under review
mate-control-center -- not ready yet
mate-panel -- under review
mate-session-manager -- under review
How To Test
Upon approval of all packages a user would type "yum groupinstall MATE-Desktop" and it would be added to their list of sessions to log in to on start up.
It will improve the user's desktop experience by giving them another choice of Desktops that they can use with Fedora.
This will be group package so listing out the packages that depend on it is kind of pointless at the moment.
Please see https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=840149 for more information.
- If this feature is not ready by the deadline it will be included in the next Fedora release.
- MATE Desktop website here.
- Introducing MATE Desktop