MATE Desktop is based on GNOME 2 and provides an intuitive and attractive desktop to Linux users who seek a simple, easy to use traditional interface.
- Name: Dan Mashal
- Email: dan.mashal AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Name: Rex Dieter
- Email: rdieter AT fedoraproject DOT org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-01-25
- Percentage of completion: 50%
- Fedora 16/17/18 are already running MATE Desktop 1.5.5 which is the development release of 1.6
MATE is a traditional Gnome 2 like desktop user interface. Many users have expressed interest in this feature since Fedora 15 in which Fedora was switched from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.
For the advanced user that doesn't want a cutting edge desktop and just wants to keep it simple this is perfect for them.
The popularity of MATE Desktop is very high. It is one of the 2 choices of DE's for Linux Mint which is one of the most popular Linux distros out right now.
Benefit to Fedora
- Attract new users to Fedora.
- Give users another choice and freedom to choose what type of DE/WM they would like to use. This is one of the core foundations of the Fedora project.
How To Test
Install off Netinstall CD, DVD, or yum.
It will improve the user's desktop experience by giving them another choice of Desktops that they can use with Fedora.
X11, Lightdm, systemd/logind, GTK2, python, automake, libtool, gettext and pkgconfig.
mate-common will provide automake autoconf gettext intltool libtool so that it will not be in every package's buildrequires.
- If this feature is not ready by the deadline it will be included in the next Fedora release.
- MATE Desktop website here.
- This is the second release of MATE Desktop for Fedora. It brings back a classic, intuitive, and easy to use desktop that users have been long requesting.
- For support please join #Fedora-MATE or #MATE on freenode irc or file a bug in redhat bugzilla.
- Release notes for 1.4 here: MATE 1.4 release notes