(→Add Nepali language support to latest upstream Fedora)
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
== Summary ==
== Summary ==
Add [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/] language support to latest upstream Fedora by localizing all applications/packages of Fedora & solve the i18n issues related to .
== Owner ==
== Owner ==
Revision as of 13:18, 8 July 2008
Maithili (autonym: मैथिली maithilī) is of the family of Indo-aryan langauges, which are part of the Indo-Iranian branch of the indo-european languages. It is spoken in the Indian state of Bihar and in the eastern Terai region of Nepal. Linguists consider Maithili to be an Eastern Indic language, and thus a different language from Hindi, which is Central Indic. Maithili has been considered a dialect of both Hindi and Bengali, and in fact was classified as a mother tongue of Hindi in the Census of India. In 2003 Maithili gained the status of an independent language in India. A movement to give the language official status through inclusion in the Eighth Schedule of the Indian Constitution so that it may be used in education, government, and other official contexts, resulted in Maithili being given official status in 2003. Now Maithili is among the 22 scheduled languages in the Indian constitution.
Add Nepali language support to latest upstream Fedora
Add Maithili language support to latest upstream Fedora by localizing all applications/packages of Fedora & solve the i18n issues related to Maithili.
- Name: SubirPradhanang , AnkitPatel (Helping)
- Targeted release: Fedora 8
- Last Updated: 2007-08-22
- Current Status (Translation): Status Page
- Essential Modules Status (Translation): 100% complete Status Page
Nepali language support has already been added into GNOME, KDE, Openoffice.org. Firefox/Thundebird localization is on-going for Nepali. All major i18n related issues has been solved by Nepali community & willing to solve if any exists in the Fedora. After getting localized Fedora, Nepali will be in the supported status in next Fedora release.
Benefit to Fedora
Adding one new language will create a community of fedora users from that particular language speaking people. Nepali has become one of most active localization community, and Nepali localization has been spread all over Nepal. So, it will add huge audience for fedora. Eventually, it may attract developers even to work for fedora...
Requires translation of Fedora modules initially & later on work with i18n issues to get the language in supported status...
1. Localize existing fedora essential modules 2. Complete extra modules in terms of translation 3. Solve all i18n related issues.
Users are going to experience Fedora in their Native Language (Nepali)...
- Nepali fonts are available on http://www.nepalinux.org/fonts/, which are under GPL. We have started using Madan.ttf as the default font for Nepali.
Add a bit about language support (Nepali) available in this release...
- Some more details would be nice. Do we have fonts, if so, is it added already? Similarly for IM, or any other locale-specific packages. -- notting
- More details can be found at http://www.nepalinux.org/ -- AnkitPatel
- Good to have Madan.ttf packaged as nepali-fonts package for fedora -- paragn
Last Update Date
August 22, 2007