Nodoka Notification Theme
Create new theme/engine in Nodoka style for the notification bubbles that are currently plain and ugly looking.
- Name: mso
- Targeted release: Fedora 10
- Last updated: 2008-07-15
- Percentage of completion: 85%
- Write working, feature complete engine: DONE
- Import the package into Fedora: DONE
- Add support for notification themes selection into appearance capplet: DONE, fixed and merged upstream
- Make default
- Finetune the design: in progress
Notification-daemon is one of the libraries that though it supports theming, so far no effort has been made to make new, better separate themes for it. In Fedora, unlike Ubuntu, we use the standard theme, which looks ugly. This feature tries to create a better theme designed specially for Fedora, which means it needs to part of the Nodoka Theme.
The development is happening in the same place as the rest of the Nodoka Themes - .
Benefit to Fedora
New theme for notification daemon improves general user experience from the fedora artwork, which is therefore more consistent and better looking.
New engine that provides the same features as the default notification-deamon engine needs to be created and built into Fedora. We need a more convenient way for users to switch between the different themes than having to edit gconf keys.
- Install notification-daemon-engine-nodoka
- Testing the engine
- Set gconf '/app/notification-daemon/theme' key to 'nodoka'
- Use various software that show notification bubbles
- Test either with compositing enabled or disabled (the engine behaves slightly different based on the availability of true transparency)
- Watch if the bubbles are displayed correctly
- Testing theme selection via gconf
- Switch gconf '/app/notification-daemon/theme' key between 'nodoka' and 'standard'
- Watch if the change is applied correctly - i.e. the engine is set properly and applications continue showing notification bubbles
- Known issues - Bug 455289: Notification daemon crashes after changing theme
- Testing theme selection via appearances caplet
- Switch between various themes in the appearances caplet (using the latest rawhide control-center rpm package)
- Look if the notification theme is changed properly (look into /usr/share/themes/*/index.theme files for NotificationTheme key, if not set, notification theme should be set to standard, otherwise it should use the value of the key)
- Try customizing the selected theme and see if the notification theme stays unchanged
- Known issues - Bug 455329: Notification theme is reset to standard when theme is customized
- Report any issues at rhbz
User gets better looking notification bubbles but with same functionality as provides the upstream default theme.
None out of the scope of this future.
Stay with the current theme.
Add a note about the change, mention that user can change the theme manually by setting gconf '/apps/notification-daemon/theme' key to 'nodoka' (for the new one) or 'standard' (the old one). Appearances capplet was patched to set the theme according to value of NotificationTheme key set in the gnome meta-theme, so far only the nodoka theme sets this.
I don't think we want to mention manual setting of GConf keys in the release notes. -- MatthiasClasen