Ease Of Use: System Management with OpenLMI
Add providers and capabilites to the OpenLMI infrastructure that would ease the remote system management.
- Name: Tomáš Smetana
- Email: tsmetana at redhat.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-01-25
- Percentage of completion: 10%
The OpenLMI project provides a common infrastructure for the management of Linux systems. The goal is to add the missing parts that would enable remote management of a Fedora system:
- Complete the CIM storage API to allow for a better remote storage management
- Add a new provider and extend the existing ones to allow for a remote hardware information retrieval (HW inventory)
- Add a new provider that would allow for a remote AD/Kerberos realms enrollment
- Add a new provider that would allow for a remote Firewall management (open/close a particular port) through firewalld
- Improve the software management in OpenLMI to allow for a comprehensive remote package management
- Add and improve the remote system monitoring using OpenLMI
- Improve the OpenLMI Shell to allow for a quick and easy scriptable remote management
- Allow to use OpenLMI under selinux enforcing policy
- Possibly add providers to allow management also other system parts: Containers, SELinux, SCAP scans, performance monitoring
Benefit to Fedora
It's going to be easier to manage and monitor a remote Fedora system.
OpenLMI providers and tools, the CIMOMS (tog-pegasus, sblim-sfcb), SBLIM providers
How To Test
Test suite would be provided with the OpenLMI project.
The sysadmins will get a better infrastructure for a remote systems maintenance and monitoring.
Many of the planned features depend on the development of the other components: Anaconda's Blivet library, realmd, firewalld, NetworkManager; in the case those would not contain the required features we are not able to create a management infrastructure above them.
Provided in the packages and on the OpenLMI project pages.
The OpenLMI infrastructure has been greatly improved: new storage API, monitoring, hardware information, realmd, firewall providers were added. Improvements in the existing providers.