Openstack web user interface (Horizon)
Include Horizon, the OpenStack web user interface, in Fedora 17.
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: February 06 2012
- Percentage of completion: 100%
Horizon is the official web user interface for OpenStack, and will be a core component of the next OpenStack release scheduled for April 2012. Horizon provides graphical means for users to start, stop, and view details about their virtual instances, as well as cloud admin tasks like managing users and tenants/accounts.
This feature will track getting Horizon working as easy as possible out of the box for Fedora 17.
Benefit to Fedora
OpenStack has a lot of mind share. Improving our OpenStack story has the potential to bring new users and OpenStack developers into the Fedora community. Horizon will play a vital part in improving our OpenStack story. Having a graphical UI will make marketing Fedora as an OpenStack platform much easier, and will lower the barrier to entry for new OpenStack users to get started.
(the nitty gritty of the scope is unclear right now, will be updated when I have a better idea of the specific tasks)
- Get horizon in f17/rawhide
- Document steps required to configure OpenStack for horizon access (DONE)
- Determine if any work can be done to make OpenStack work out of the box easier with horizon (Ongoing)
How To Test
(this section will be expanded when I have a better idea of options for test cases)
- Run through Getting started with OpenStack on Fedora 17#Basic Setup
- Dashboard test cases: Test Day:2012-03-08 OpenStack Test Day#Test Cases
OpenStack users will have the ability to use a nice web UI rather than command line everything. New users interested in OpenStack will have a simpler way to dive into the project.
The OpenStack essex release schedule is a semi dependency, but even if the schedule slipped we would still likely package a release candidate or similar.
If the work isn't done in time, horizon can just not be included in Fedora 17, since it's a new package. If documentation isn't finished, we could include the package but probably want to drop this from the feature process. Improvements like simplifying the out of the box config can be dropped if necessary.
- Upstream openstack docs
- Upstream horizon docs
- Running horizon/dashboard from git (round 2)
- Getting started with OpenStack on Fedora 17
Horizon, the official web user interface for OpenStack, is now available.