To provide the latest PHP stack.
- Name: Remi Collet
- Email: remi AT SPAMFREE fedoraproject DOT org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-03-18
- Percentage of completion: 80%
No change in rawhide planed before upstream fetaure freeze.
Work in progress done in external remi repository 
Update in rawhide planed for beta1, but php stack already testable via remi "dev" repo.
Upstream roadmap (see TODO)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha1 is released (Nov 22th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha2 is released (Dec 18th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha3 is released (Jan 10th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha4 is released (Jan 24th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha5 is released (Feb 21th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha6 is released (Mar 7th)
- opcache merged in php-src (Mar 15th)
- PHP 5.5.0beta1 is released (Mar 21th) FEATURE FREEZE
Finale version (Q1/2013) should be available before fedora 19 (Q2/2013).
- Roadmap is delayed by a month, because of ZendOptimizerPlus code to be merged with php core.
Planed packaging changes
Build more extensions shared for flexibility
- in php-common: bz2, calendar, ctype, exif, ftp, gettext, iconv, sockets and tokenizer
- moved in php-gmp: gmp
- moved in php-process: shmop
- moved in php-xml: xml and simplexml
Drop libmysqlclient driver and only provide mysqlnd driver (this doesn't change mysql/mysqli extensions which can use both)
Add opcache extension (ZendOptimizer+, official upstream opcode cache) and remove opcode feature from APC (only kept for user data cache)
Activate dtrace/systemtap <sys/sdt.h> markers
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest PHP version.
- Mass rebuild of all packages which requires php ABI, some will requires update or patch
- Test of web applications
How To Test
- test PHP web applications available in the repository
Web developer will get the latest upstream PHP version
From repoquery --whatrequires 'php(zend-abi)'
Work in a dedicated build target. Merge only when all is ok.
There is some risk that finale version not released at f19 time, but in case, we'll ship a RC.
Compatibility with previous PHP 5.4 is rather good.
- upstream NEWS
- upstream UPGRADING for web applications developer
- upstream UPGRADING.INTERNALS for extension developer
Fedora 19 includes version 5.5.0 of PHP. This includes a number of significant new features, including support for Generators as well as a number of performance enhancements. For complete details see Migrating from PHP 5.4.x to PHP 5.5.x.
Comments and Discussion
For discussion, please join the php devel ML