To provide the latest PHP stack.
- Name: Remi Collet
- Email: remi AT SPAMFREE fedoraproject DOT org
- Targeted release: Fedora 19
- Last updated: 2013-03-23
- Percentage of completion: 95%
No change in rawhide planed before upstream feature freeze.
Work in progress done in external remi repository 
2013-02-22 Rebuild done in rawhide 2013-02-23 Rebuild done in Fedora 19
Upstream roadmap (see TODO)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha1 is released (Nov 22th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha2 is released (Dec 18th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha3 is released (Jan 10th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha4 is released (Jan 24th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha5 is released (Feb 21th)
- PHP 5.5.0alpha6 is released (Mar 7th)
- opcache merged in php-src (Mar 15th)
- PHP 5.5.0beta1 is released (Mar 21th) FEATURE FREEZE
Finale version (Q1/2013) should be available before fedora 19 (Q2/2013).
- Roadmap is delayed by a month, because of ZendOptimizerPlus code to be merged with php core.
Planed packaging changes
Build more extensions shared for flexibility
- in php-common: bz2, calendar, ctype, exif, ftp, gettext, iconv, sockets and tokenizer
- moved in php-gmp: gmp
- moved in php-process: shmop
- moved in php-xml: xml and simplexml
Drop libmysqlclient driver and only provide mysqlnd driver (this doesn't change mysql/mysqli extensions which can use both)
Add opcache extension (ZendOptimizer+, official upstream opcode cache) and remove opcode feature from APC (only kept for user data cache)
Activate dtrace/systemtap <sys/sdt.h> markers
Benefit to Fedora
Provides the latest PHP version.
- Mass rebuild of all packages which requires php ABI, some will requires update or patch
- Test of web applications
How To Test
- test PHP web applications available in the repository
Web developer will get the latest upstream PHP version
From repoquery --whatrequires 'php(zend-abi)'
Work in a dedicated build target. Merge only when all is ok.
There is some risk that finale version not released at f19 time, but in case, we'll ship a RC.
Compatibility with previous PHP 5.4 is rather good.
- upstream NEWS
- upstream UPGRADING for web applications developer
- upstream UPGRADING.INTERNALS for extension developer
Fedora 19 includes version 5.5.0 of PHP. This includes a number of significant new features, including support for Generators as well as a number of performance enhancements. For complete details see Migrating from PHP 5.4.x to PHP 5.5.x.
Comments and Discussion
For discussion, please join the php devel ML