Include Python 2.6 in Fedora
- Name: Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
- Targeted release: Fedora 11
- Last updated: 2008-12-09
- Percentage of completion: 45%
Python 2.6 was released on October 1, 2008, too close to the release of Fedora 10 to be included in it.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora is about pushing the boundaries, and having Python 2.6 as a transitional release on the path to Python 3000 is no exception.
The python package and all dependent packages must be rebuilt and test, and fixed/upgraded where necessary.
How To Test
- Install python and dependent packages from the dist-f11-python koji repo
- Test functionality of the dependent packages
- Users should not notice any difference, other than the availability of the 2.6 interpreter
- (list too large to include here; around 1000 packages)
- Omit packages that don't rebuild/work properly
Python has been upgraded to 2.6. For a list of the changes see http://www.python.org/doc/2.6/whatsnew/2.6.html .