(Imported from MoinMoin)
m (1 revision(s))
Revision as of 16:36, 24 May 2008
RPM and Yum Enhancements
We feel the need - the need for speed.
- Speed up resolving below 2 minutes (better below one minute) in worst case (on a reasonably new computer)
- Reduce memory consumption significantly below 100MB for most cases - may be even for all cases
- Owners: JeremyKatz, SethVidal, PaulNasrat, FlorianFesti
- Targeted release:
- Last updated: 2007-12
- Percentage of completion: 90%
- Things look much better now.
Profile the rpm/python/yum stack. Find the hotspots. Fix them. Discussions at the following threads.
thl: Maybe also get rid of file deps outside of /etc, /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or /usr/sbin in our packages as much as possible, too, as they sometimes slow down yum's depsolving a lot? The Packaging Committee has something in the queue , but there is not much interest to drive it forward afaics.
Benefit to Fedora
Requires changes to yum, createrepo, and potentially other packages such as rpm.
Orson notes that yum takes a long time to run on his embedded system.