Feature Name RawhideRepoSubpackage
Currently the yum repository defintitions for the Rawhide repository are shipped in the main fedora-release package with a default disabled setting. This means that anyone with any fedora-release can see those repositories and enable them. Some users do so without realizing what Rawhide means or contains, and are forced to do a clean re-install to go back to a stable Fedora release.
- Name: [[User:Kevin|KevinFenzi]
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 26
- Last updated: 2010-01-04
- Percentage of completion: 0%
Some inexperenced users are enabling the rawhide repository and are unable to go back to the stable release they were using. Moving the rawhide repos to a subpackage will mean many of these users will not see rawhide and won't mistakenly enable it. Additionally, people who are using rawhide can simply remove this package to disable rawhide and move over to a stable release instead of needing to edit repo files and possibly merge rpmnew/rpmsave files.
Benefit to Fedora
Inexperenced users will not mistakenly enable rawhide. Experenced users will have an easier way to enable/disable it.
The fedora-release package will need to add a 'fedora-release-rawhide' subpackage. The rawhide.repo files will need to be moved to that subpackage. The rawhide repo files should be changed to be enabled by default. Comps files should be checked to make sure nothing is pulling in the fedora-rawhide-release to any of the live or install media.
How To Test
1. Do a fresh Fedora install. 2. Confirm in PackageKit that there is no rawhide repo available to enable anywhere. 3. Confirm in /etc/yum.repos.d/ that there is no rawhide repo files.
1. Do a fresh Fedora install. 2. Install fedora-release-rawhide. 3. Confirm that the repo is available for enabling in PackageKit 4. Confirm that there are /etc/yum.repo.d/rawhide* files. 5. Confirm that enabling this repo shows rawhide updates for both PackageKit and yum.
Users will see no rawhide repos available by default to enable/disable.
Docs will need to be modified to note how to enable and disable rawhide by removing/install the fedora-release-rawhide package. Release notes may note to users who wish it how to install this package or point to the above docs.
Revert back to current fedora-release with rawhide repo files.
- The Fedora Rawhide repository files are no longer included by default. To enable rawhide you must install the fedora-release-rawhide package.