(add link to tests)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
= secTool =
= secTool =
Revision as of 22:00, 25 July 2008
A security audit system and intrusion detection system
- Name: PeterVrabec
- Targeted release:
- Last updated: Jul 14th 2008
- Percentage of completion: 100%
- Project homepage: https://fedorahosted.org/sectool
- Already built in rawhide
sectool is a security tool that can be used both as a security audit and an intrusion detection system. It consists of set of tests, library and textual/graphical frontend. Tests are sorted into groups and security levels. Admins can run selected tests, groups or whole security levels.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora will include a modern security audit tool.
Implementing the tool and write tests and documentation, so community can write their own tests.
- run tests in graphical and textual interface
- run the tool with increasing 'security levels', watch it reporting more potential problems
- add a test with a description to the 'test repository', watch it being recognized by sectool
- have a test result or even diff against previous run mailed to you
- the rest pretty much depends on the tests, a few examples on what we currently have:
- add '.' to your $PATH, watch it being reported by the path test
- add a new suid executable, watch it being reported by the suid test
- allow remote root login, watch it being repoted by the openssh test
- ..and many more (see list of existing tests below)
- some sanity/smoke tests that we run before a new release are summed up https://fedorahosted.org/sectool/wiki/NewReleaseTesting
Users will have a tool that could check their systems for a security issues. They will also have documentation and libraries that help them write their own tests. Advanced users could benefit from having the text interface that is more easily scriptable and usable from cron.
python, gtk(for GUI frontend) + interpreters for languages in which the tests are written - currently bash, python, clisp, perl. All these are in Fedora already, so this should be no problem.
None needed, this is an addition to Fedora.
- Home page - https://fedorahosted.org/sectool
- Why sectool is better than other similar tools? - https://fedorahosted.org/sectool/wiki/WhySectool
- Writing new tests
- The list of existing tests - https://fedorahosted.org/sectool/wiki/WishList
sectool offers an security audit tool, which contains set of tests that scan system for security vulnerabilities.