Add install-time configuration of Trusted Boot(tboot).
- Name: Gang Wei
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 16
- Last updated: 2011-06-15
- Percentage of completion: 0%
This would include two things to be done at install time:
- UI to choose TXT/tboot support
Below is a mock up screen shot for this
- The underlying support to install the package and modify the bootloader cfg.
Below is a sample grub.conf file showing the change.
default=0 timeout=5 splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz hiddenmenu title Fedora (2.6.38-0.rc5.git1.1.fc15.x86_64) root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-0.rc5.git1.1.fc15.x86_64 ro root=UUID=2c16235d-452c-4109-b93c-7b6e93795682 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38-0.rc5.git1.1.fc15.x86_64.img title Fedora w/ tboot (2.6.38-0.rc5.git1.1.fc15.x86_64) root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/tboot.gz logging=vga,serial,memory module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-0.rc5.git1.1.fc15.x86_64 ro root=UUID=2c16235d-452c-4109-b93c-7b6e93795682 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet module /boot/initramfs-2.6.38-0.rc5.git1.1.fc15.x86_64.img
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora will be capable to do trusted launch with tboot support. It will meet the increase needs for platform security.
Required steps are:
- UI to choose TXT/tboot support during installation.
- Scripts to install the tboot package and modify the bootloader cfg.
How To Test
- It requires platforms supporting Intel TXT.
- If selected during system installation UI, make sure the tboot package is installed and the bootloader config is changed to boot tboot as kernel and linux as module.
User will find the tboot packge easier to install and use.
None on other packages.
The tboot package is only for x86, but tboot will detect whether the systems supports TXT and will perform a normal boot if it does not (and hence can be installed on x86 systems that do not support TXT).
Intel requires all server OEMs to carry the SINIT ACM for the platform in their flash.
None necessary, revert to previous release behaviour.
tboot project web page
Documentation about tboot functionality
The Intel® TXT Software Development Guide should be able to show you details about what tboot does.
More documentation about TXT
Documentation about Intel® SMX instructions is included in Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual, Volumes 2, chapter 6, Safer Mode Extensions Reference
- Trusted Boot (tboot) is an open source, pre- kernel/VMM module that uses Intel(R) Trusted Execution Technology (Intel(R) TXT) to perform a measured and verified launch of an OS kernel/VMM.