Features/Virt Storage Migration
Virt Storage Motion
Storage motion is a streaming feature that allows the guest to start execution while the parent image reside remotely (with or without shared storage).
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: January 26 2013
- Percentage of completion: 50%
Benefit to Fedora
This feature is equivalent to VMWare's "storage vmotion" feature, so brings Fedora virt closer in functionality to the proprietary alternative. Plus, it's a cool feature.
- Qemu supports block streaming (unknown)
- Libvirt supports block streaming (unknown)
- ovirt support (unknown)
- virt-manager support (might be out of scope, sounds pretty enterprisey)
How To Test
Virt users who are already migrating guests will no longer require shared storage for one. Will also enable several other use cases, like transparently changing between disk image formats for a running guest.
Since this is brand new functionality, if it doesn't make it in time for F18, nothing has changed. We just drop this feature page.
Comments and Discussion