This feature covers ibus-libpinyin, a new ibus Pinyin engine for input of Simplified Chinese using libpinyin.
- Name: Peng Wu
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 2012-07-13
- Percentage of completion: 50%
ibus-libpinyin is an Intelligent Pinyin Input Method based on the modern libpinyin backend providing better conversation of pinyin to Simplified Chinese than ibus-pinyin.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora users will be able to use the new ibus-libpinyin by default for Simplified Chinese input and input Chinese faster and more accurately than using ibus-pinyin. The upstream ibus-pinyin engine will also be available separately.
- add new ibus-libpinyin package to Fedora (done)
- integrate with libpinyin 0.7.x series (done)
- enhance LUA script support (done)
- update comps to make ibus-libpinyin installed by default
- transition ibus-pinyin to ibus-libpinyin when upgrading
- optionally, support character input by strokes (in progress)
How To Test
- Check that "Intelligent Pinyin" is listed in the ibus-setup list of IMEs and is the default IME for Simplified Chinese.
- Add "Intelligent Pinyin" to the list of IMEs and begin to use the new pinyin ime.
- Get some testing sentences, and input them under both "Pinyin" and "Intelligent Pinyin": note whether"Intelligent Pinyin" reduces the number of key presses required to enter the sentences.
With the ibus-libpinyin front end, Chinese users can speed up the pinyin input speed by pressing less keys. Fedora ibus-pinyin will still also be available and no longer a fork from upstream.
- Revert to old combined ibus-pinyin package.
ibus-libpinyin provides a new input frontend for Simplified Chinese providing an intelligent pinyin input method that speeds up the user input of Chinese characters. It can replace ibus-pinyin which is also still available in Fedora.