The oVirt project is an open virtualization project.
The main components in the oVirt project are:
The owners/packagers are:
- For the oVirt-engine package:
- For the oVirt-engine-SDK and oVirt-engine-CLI packages:
- For the VDSM package:
- Name: Federico Simoncelli
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The VDSM package is already built on fedora, see http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=12944
- For the oVirt-DWH and reports packages:
- For the oVirt-guest-agent package:
- Targeted release: Fedora 17
- Last updated: 2011-11-16
- Percentage of completion:
The oVirt Project is an open virtualization project providing a feature-rich, end to end, server virtualization management system with advanced capabilities for hosts and guests, including high availability, live migration, storage management, system scheduler, and more.
The oVirt Project is a comprehensive ecosystem of projects delivering a complete integrated platform on a well defined release schedule. These are components designed and tested to work together. In addition oVirt provides a crucial venue for user and developer cooperation, and is the first truly open and comprehensive data center virtualization management initiative.
Benefit to Fedora
Adding the oVirt project to Fedora will enable using it to build a stable and richful and large-scale virtualization environment. Combining oVirt with the current virtualization infrastructure in Fedora (libvirt + KVM) will attract users interested in constructing such a large-scale virtualization environment.
The scope of the feature includes a large-scale virtualization management system, including:
- Data center management
- Storage management
- Networking management
- VMs management (lifetime management, snapshots, migration, templating)
- Administrator and User portal
- User management
- Data warehous and Reports infrastructure
- Guest agent
How To Test
See the "Testing oVirt" section of the oVirt wiki for testing instructions.
Users will have the ability to setup a complete, large-scale, end to end virtualization management environment.
The oVirt project depends on the following components:
- Main RPM dependencies
- postgresql-server >= 8.4.7
- postgresql-contrib >= 8.4.7
- Other dependencies
- Jboss AS7 - latest release
- Quartz version 1.8.3
- Jasper Server (see Jasper Server)
These are new packages to Fedora, so no contingency plan is required.
The oVirt packages consists of the oVirt-engine (which contains the engine, REST API, and web administration UI), VDSM, DWH, reports SDK, CLI and the oVirt-guest-agent.