oVirt engine 3.2
The oVirt engine is the management application of the oVirt virtualization platform. Version 3.2 is the latest version, including many new features.
- Name: Juan Hernández
- Email: email@example.com
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated: 28 Jan 2013
- Percentage of completion: 10%
Version 3.1 of the oVirt engine was already included in Fedora 18, but we want to bring the new features provided by version 3.2.
Benefit to Fedora
Adding version 3.2 of the oVirt engine and the GUI applications to Fedora will attract users that are currently using the upstream project and will provide a complete and seamless virtualization management solution, with a web interface that can be used from virtually any place.
The scope of the feature includes the update to upstream version 3.2.
How To Test
In order to test the user will need to install the ovirt-engine package in any Fedora supported platform (the packages are
yum install ovirt-engine
Once the feature is 100% completed this will download and install all the required packages.
After the installation the user will need to run the
engine-setup command line tool. This tool will ask for the details of the environment (ports, passwords, host names, etc), will take care to do all the required configuration changes and will start the required services.
See the testing section of the oVirt wiki for detailed instructions.
Users will have the ability to setup a complete virtualization management environment.
There are no new dependencies in this version.
There is no need for a contingency plan as no other package depend on ovirt-engine.
The version 3.2 of the oVirt engine includes the web based user interface for administrators and users, and many new features, for example:
- UI plugins
- Make network a main tab
- Import of existing gluster clusters
- Bootstrap improvements
- PKI improvments
- Improved quota
- Integrate smartcard support
- Display address override
- VM creation base on pre-defined profiles (instance types)
- Storage live migration (needs to be checked)
- Sync network
- Port mirroring
- User level api
- Automatic storage domain upgrade
- Unidirectional Gluster geo-replication support
- Support for asynchronous Gluster volume tasks
- Gluster volume performance statistics
- Configuration sync with Gluster CLI
- Monitoring Gluster Volumes and Bricks