Perl 5.12 brings a lot of changes. Details about them could be found at perl [delta]
- Name: Marcela Mašláňová
- email: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Targeted release: Fedora 14
- Last updated: 2010-06-01
- Percentage of completion: 85%
- rewritten spec for perl 5.12
- rebuild of almost all perl modules
Items still to be done - perl modules
|perl-Data-Alias||broken, can't be fix easily, according repoquery no dependencies-> killed|
|perl-DBI-Dumper||buggy, last release in 2006 -> remove? ; removed from rawhide; cweyl contacted to retire the package|
|perl-IO-Compress-Bzip2||package is obsoleted by perl-IO-Compress|
|perl-POE-Component-Server-SOAP||depends on perl-POE-Component-Server-SimpleHTTP >= 1.54|
|perl-Pugs-Compiler-Rule||One test unit fails because of different Data::Dumper indentation. The strange thing is it should fail even on localhost with perl-5.10.1. Data::Dumper indents local and package (AST) structure in different way. I don't know how is it possible. However it does not fail.|
|perl-SVN-Mirror||RT#51088 broken with svn >= 1.6; upstream seems unresponsive ; removed Rel-Eng #3796|
|perl-Test-AutoBuild||depends on rebuild perl-SVN-Mirror with perl5.12|
These packages were already fixed, but often they build failure isn't related with perl-5.12. -> DONE
|gnumeric||not perl issue - already FTBFS|
|grepmail||Builds fine -> Done|
|krazy2||not perl issue - already FTBFS|
|lcgdm||not perl issue, will be fixed by maintainer|
|ocaml-perl4caml||Already fixed upstream|
|virt-v2v||failure is due to old version of libguest in this buildroot. In rawhide it should pass -> Done|
|Zim||now is in Fedora Zim in python! Done|
|zarafa||build by maintainer -> Done|
Perl releases will be now every year and updates during year will be containing mainly bug fixes. The release 5.12.1 should be stable release.
Benefit to Fedora
Fedora as bleeding edge distribution should be shipping new release of perl as one of the first distributions.
Everything will be rebuild in testing buildroot dist-f14-perltest. 'make build TARGET=dist-f14-perltest'
- update perl to 5.12.1
- update/fix/rebuild all perl modules
- rebuild all other dependent packages -> file bugs to maintainers
- in case no basic components are broken, then packages could be tagged into dist-f14 buildroot
How To Test
Download packages from koji's buildroot dist-f14-perltest or try your packages with rebuild build requirements related to perl.
User could notice warnings about soon to be removed modules e.g. Class::ISA will be removed, install from CPAN and errors in syntax e.g. defined(%hash) isn't supported anymore. These warnings are fixed in Fedora's modules, but it could be still found in users scripts.
repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps 'perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.1?.?)' | sort -u
In case some essential packages couldn't be fixed, then would be used perl-5.10.?.
Some packages seem to be unfixable, therefore they should be removed if they don't have any other dependencies.
- changes between 5.10.1 and 5.12.x http://perldoc.perl.org/perldelta.html
- updated packaging guidelines https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDraft:Perl
- how to update modules and dual-lived modules: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Perl/updates
Notable changes in Perl 5.12 include:
- Perl now conforms much more closely to the Unicode standard.
Additionally, this release includes an upgrade to version 5.2 of the standard.
- New experimental APIs allow developers to extend Perl with "pluggable" keywords and syntax.
- Perl now has a better sense of time and will be able to keep accurate time well past the "Y2038" barrier.
- New syntax allows developers to specify package version numbers directly in "package" statements
- Perl now warns the user about the use of deprecated features by default.
Perl 5.12.0 features numerous new features, optimizations and bugfixes. You can find a complete list of these changes on the web at:
Original release note: http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2010/04/msg158820.html