Make Systemd Journal the new default syslog.
- Name: Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
- Email: johannbg AT gmail DOT com
- Targeted release: Fedora 18
- Last updated:
- Percentage of completion: 50
As of systemd v38+ systemd comes with it's own syslog named Journal.
Benefit to Fedora
- Disable rsyslog by default ( minor changes ).
How To Test
Trigger a logging event and test systemd-journalctl with various command line switches.
For the novice end users this has no noticeable effect other than a single command to use to view logs should he be forced to use it.
For advanced users such as administrators they will need to enable and start rsyslog or syslog-ng to use many of the enterprise features they currently provide over systemd journal.
Depends on the presence of systemd v38+ being installed which is the case for Fedora 17 and onwards.
- It's recommended that documentation is updated to reflect usage of the native systemd journal command and it's configuration file
There shouldn't be anything we need to specifically say other than highlighting the change and howto re-enable rsyslog.