FEDORA COMMUNITY USABILITY TEST: Usability Tester 2
- Date/Time: Tuesday, 13 October 2009 / 11 AM
- Video File:
- FAS Account: (withheld for privacy for now)
- Browser used: firefox-3.5.2-2.fc11.x86_64
- Computer used: Mo's x61 laptop
- Package maintainership: 8 packages, long-time maintainer
Introduction / First Impressions
- Have you seen this site before? If so, where did you hear about it?
- Have you used this site before? If so, what have you used it for? How did that go? How often have you used this site?
- (On front page) What are your first impressions, looking at this site now?
- Kyle is scary!
- (On front page) What do you think this site is?
- Fedora website for community. Generic.
- (On front page) Any other comments you'd like to make about this site?
- It looks package-oriented. Looks similar to koji.
- (On front page) What do you think of this page? Where would you click first?
- Hard to answer, what am I here for? If I'm looking for packages - I'd log in, look at releases... I'd look at my package, look for a search bar to search for them.
TASK SET I
- View your profile on this site. What do you think about it? Is the information accurate? Do your group memberships seem accurate? Do your package affiliations seem accurate?
- packages are right.
- i'd like to see a full list of my packages in the sidebar here, not just the first 5. maybe an in-place AJAX expander?
- my group memberships look correct.
- the all packages widget in the right sidebar - maybe Jesse would care about that. I don't.
- You've just spoken with Dennis Gilmore and he's asked you to open a ticket for him in a fedorahosted.org trac instance. In order to cc Dennis on the ticket, you'll need to figure out his FAS account name. Where would you go to look it up?
- goes to search, types 'dennis' (not sure how to spell 'gilmore')
- don't see him
- tries again, unchecks package box. no dice.
- pagination on bottom hard to see, not noticeable
- clicks on left people nav button
- tries to use directory. looks under d. no luck.
- TASK COULD NOT BE COMPLETED
- Do you have any unpushed updates? Where would you go to look this up?
- clicks overview in left nav bar
- on the right sidebar, sees 'my pending updates'
- there you go. i have none.
- How are your builds doing? Where would you go to look this up?
- looks on the right bar
- sees my builds > overview and clicks
- wonders if the in-progress status automatically refreshes or does he have to reload the page?
- Let's say you have a friend who is a little bit behind the times - she is running Fedora 9. There's an annoying Inkscape bug that bothers her - after searching the internet for a bit you found out the bug is fixed in Inkscape version 0.47.
- Is Inkscape version 0.47 available in Fedora 9 for your friend?
- what i would do normally is search for inkscape in koji
- i'll try to use this app to do it.
- searches for inkscape, clicks to view details page
- fedora 9 isn't supported so it's not listed in the release overview.
- at this point i would go to koji
- where is koji? it says 'builds' - it should be labeled 'koji'
- similarly updates => bodhi. not obvious it's taking me offsite
- would be nice, when i view package search results, for the maintainers name to be right there. that's what i look up a lot, it'd save a click
- If Inkscape version 0.47 is not available for Fedora 9, can you download an SRPM here to build it for her?
- on inkscape details page, click on 'sources', srpm is not there
- at this point i'd try koji
- he was looking for a f9-specific srpm. Are srpms release-specific?
TASK SET II
- You need help with yelp. Who's the package maintainer?
- searches for yelp
- spells yelp wrong. search is not very forgiving with misspellings
- normally i'd use RPM to find out a given package maintainer.
- clicks on yelp in search results.
- maintainers name is right there, done!
- Luke Macken is going away on vacation for a couple of weeks and he's asked you to look over his packages while he's gone. How many packages does he have, and do any of them need attention? Where would you go to look this up?
- searches for luke macken
- clicks on his name
- 72 packages
- looks on right side of luke's profile and clicks unpushed updates
- How would you file a bug against NetworkManager using this system?
- clicks search in lower left
- whoops, there is no guide for searching in the search results page. if he had used the search box in the top of each screen he never would have seen the search guidelines. doesn't look like he read them though.
- searches for 'network manager'
- clicks bugs in right side - likes it!
- bugs page is slow to load, but understands that bz is slow
- What has changed in the 'ruby' package over the last few updates? Where would you go to look this up?
- clicks on search in left nav bar
- unclicks people
- searches for ruby, clicks on result
- on package deatils page, clicks package details
- shows the spec, would check changelog in spec
- did not notice changelog nav item. is under maint tools. maybe it belongs in details.
- How's the karma of your current testing updates doing? How would you check up on this in Fedora Community?
- searches for 'nfs-utils'
- clicks on it
- clicks on updates in main content area and is brought to bodhi
- doesn't notice updates in right sidebar to stay in f-comm
- How well does Fedora Community support your package maintenance workflow?
- yes, i will use this, it keeps everything all in one spot
- if i get lost, i can still go back to the old way
- Would you use Fedora Community to help maintain your packages? Which parts?
- search - who owns what
- really handy to get irc nicks for maintainers
- Is there any essential functionality missing from Fedora Community that would help you maintain your packages more easily?
- can't think of anything
- Did you learn anything about Fedora Community's functionality through this test?
- yes, i love it
- What do you think is the most useful function of Fedora Community?
- one password, one login
- What are the least useful functions of Fedora Community?
- fonts are a little small.
- can you make it easier to scan text?