Summary of foobar goes here
Our current next step is to pick a platform. To achieve this, we need to:
- Determine requirements
- Seek out other interested parties and have them determine requirements
If you make a FooBar-related page, please add [[Category:Project FooBar]] to the bottom for now, so we can properly tag things. This category will be renamed after we pick a better name for FooBar.
Platform selection criteria
to be filled in by ianweller
- Allow multiple editors
- Allow multiple contributors
- Separate feeds for different media - podcast, written, video etc
- Easy integration of rich media - see above
- FAS_Auth integration
- Themable (presumably by Design Team)
- Software *and* required plugins packaged - including theme?
- software + plugins packaged, theme isn't necessarily a strict requires but it's kind of nice --Ian Weller 16:13, 8 July 2009 (UTC)
- Why is it not a strict requires? (JonRob - who doesn't know how to do ianweller's funky signiture)
This is a brainstorm list - what would you want a FooBar platform to have and do? Please add to the list below.
This is a brainstorm list; add your ideas and notes on various platforms below. Platforms are in alphabetical order.
- imo, way more features than we actually need. Mel Chua 15:52, 8 July 2009 (UTC)
- bad security record, the sort of PHP app that infrastructure doesn't need --Ian Weller 15:54, 8 July 2009 (UTC)
- mizmo: i am hoping wp is chosen though because its a known quantity and [the Design team has] done themes for it before
- has it been integrated into infra's systems, and met their security/packaging requirements?
Wordpress, multiuser (wp-mu)
- ianweller: wp-mu i don't think is the right choice for foobar, it just complicates things and we don't need multiple blogs, unless of course we want to run the entire thing under the blogs.fp.o umbrella
- which, in general, we don't. --Ian Weller 16:11, 8 July 2009 (UTC)
- would it not be possible to take that as hosting though, and have it point to a different domain? it would give us all the power of a normal wp install, but have the happy side effect of already being deployed!
- stickster: there's a great deal of crossover between what Foobar proposes, and what the new CMS (Zikula) can/will accomplish. Foobar sets out a lot of Marketing-specific goals, and I think most or all of them can be achieved through an implementation via the CMS.
- ke4qqq (Dave Nalley) summarizes Zikua: After a long period of input, eval, and testing by multiple groups (primarily Docs, but also Infrastructure and others), Zikula has been chosen as a CMS. It has a responsive upstream that's developing new modules for our needs and has even joined fp lists to help us collaborate on getting this up. It wil first be used for docs.fp.o, which currently has no CMS; FPC and F-Legal are also interested in using it - but we haven't mapped out that really well thus far - but it's after docs.fp.o makes the move. polecat (John Poelstra) has stepped up to coordinate teams for a production schedule and some meetings.
Because we can't call it FooBar forever.
- crème brûlée
- design (mizmo): waiting on platform selection
- getting a test version up: also waiting on platform selection