- Daniel Jahre <email@example.com>
- Chris Jeitler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Vienna German: Wien is the capital and largest city of Austria, and one of the nine states of Austria. Vienna is Austria's primary city, with a population of about 1.8 million (2.6 million within the metropolitan area, nearly one third of Austria's population), and its cultural, economic, and political centre. It is the 6th-largest city by population within city limits in the European Union. Until the beginning of the 20th century it was the largest German-speaking city in the world, and before the splitting of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in World War I the city had 2 million inhabitants. Today it has the second most number of German speakers after Berlin. Vienna is host to many major international organizations, including the United Nations and OPEC. The city lies in the east of Austria and is close to the borders of the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and Hungary. These regions work together in a European Centrope border region. Along with nearby Bratislava, Vienna forms a metropolitan region with 3 million inhabitants. In 2001, the city centre was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Vienna is best accessed by its public transportation system. The Ticket price for one week is €16,20 and includes subway, tramway, and all busses and ÖBB trains (S-Bahn etc.) within the city borders. Cabs are availabe at €3,80 + €1,42 per kilometer.
Travel by train/bus
(Prices are one way, multiply by 2 for return.)
- Brno - Vienna train: €9,- second class first minute, €29,- first class first minute, €27,- second class, €44,80 first class; bus (Student Agency): €8,-
- Praha - Vienna train: €19,- second class first minute, €39,- first class first minute, €62,60 second class, €98,20 first class; bus (Student Agency): €9,90 to 14,-
- Budapest - Vienna train: €19,- second class first minute, €29,- first class first minute, €38,40 second class, €61,40 first class; bus (OrangeWays): €10,- to 17,-
- Včasná jízdenka (ČD) / City-Star (MÁV) / SparSchiene (ÖBB) – cheap non-refundable tickets bound to a specific train, limited contingent; each time the contingent for a given price runs out, the price increases by 10€
- the cheapest operator we could find – feel free to edit if you know anything cheaper
Travel by plane
- US - Vienna €1000-€1300
- Berlin - Vienna €120-€180
- Madrid - Vienna €120-€180
University of Applied Sciences FH Technikum Wien The venue has two larger lecture rooms for about 200 people each and several smaller rooms for BOF sessions and smaller lectures. Some of the rooms are fully equipped with poweroutlets for laptops to enable hack sessions.
Estimated lodging costs are listed below. We expect to get a good discount on all of them if we find one lodging location that fits the needs of everybody.
€18,- to €55,- per night and bed.
€45,- to €99,- single room
€55,- to €145,- double room
breakfast costs between €10 and €15, sometimes it is included in the room prices
- Hofburg Imperial Palace
- Wiener Riesenrad
- St. Stephen's Cathedral and the historic town centre
- Spanisch Riding School
- Schönbrunn Palace
- United Nations Office at Vienna
- lots of more famous places and buildings
We suggest to have the social event at a Heuriger wine tavern. It is typical for Vienna and most of the conferences that are held in Vienna have at least one social event at one of these locations. The event would include traditional food & music.
Estimated prices €80,- to €150,- per person.