This is a draft proposal for holding Flock 2014 in Colorado Springs, CO.
Brief description of the city
We need the names of at least two local people who will participate on the Flock committee and actively help organize the event. Please note this will require a significant time commitment over the next year and should not be undertaken lightly.
- Major local airport(s)
- Colorado Springs (COS) and Denver (DEN)
- Distance from airport(s) to proposed lodging
- exact distance TBD - waiting on venue. COS is ~ 20 miles south, DEN is ~ 60 miles north
Transportation from Airports to Venue
There are no public transportation options available from either COS or DEN to the venue.
Estimate from shuttle company for transportation of 250 people
- from DEN - $25/person each way (after talking to companies about COS shuttle, I'm not 100% confident of this quote)
- from COS - $175 per trip for 14-passenger, $90 per trip for 10 passenger
- from COS - $790 for 5 hours of a 56 person bus, $133/hour after 5 hours
|Origin||To DEN||To COS|
All flights found through orbitz, rounded up to the nearest USD 50; departing Aug 4 and returning Aug 9.
Colorado Springs does have a bus system but it can be difficult to get from place to place in a timely fashion. The bus schedule is also somewhat limited at night.
There are taxis and Lyft does run in Colorado Springs.
Venue is still TBD - waiting on phone calls and emails.
- Proposed venue, including:
- Cost of venue
- Room availability for keynotes and capacity (assume 250 attendees)
- Room availability for sessions--number of rooms available, capacity of each, and configuration (classroom style, conference style, etc.) -- we need 6-8 of these, each with a capacity of at least 40
- Internet availability
- Cost of lodging--please provide written agreement from lodging specifying rates
- Number of single and double rooms available
- Note Internet availability and cost in lodging
- Distance from venue and transportation required between them
Proposed evening event locations (at least 2, preferably 3)
Sky Sox Game
The Picnic Terrace can be rented for Sky Sox (minor league baseball team in Colorado Springs) games. Assuming that there is a home game during Flock and the terrace has not already been reserved, they quote $25 per person for ticket, full bar (drinks from the bar are not included) and "All you can eat buffet of: BBQ pulled pork, fried chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, baked beans, macaroni salad, potato salad, chips, cookies and Pepsi products".
Transportation Costs: TBD
Pros and Cons
Pros and cons of the proposed location.