Flock bid process
Flock 2014 will be held in Europe. Please create bid proposals for location by October 26, 2013.
Submit a proposal
Proposals for location will be accepted through October 26, 2013. A proposal must include at a minimum:
- Staff: We need the names of at least two local people who will participate on the Flock committee and actively help organize the event. Please note this will require a significant time commitment over the next year and should not be undertaken lightly.
- Brief description of the city
- Major local airport(s)
- Distance from airport(s) to proposed lodging
- Transportation options and costs for getting attendees from the airport to the the lodging (e.g., shuttle, public transportation, taxi)
- Estimated costs of flights from BOS, RDU, JFK, CDG, and PRG
- Notes about local transportation, including mass transit and taxi availability
- Proposed venue, including:
- Cost of venue
- Room availability for keynotes and capacity
- Room availability for sessions--number of rooms available, capacity of each, and configuration (classroom style, conference style, etc.)
- Internet availability
- Proposed lodging
- Cost of loding--please provide written agreement from lodging specifying rates
- Number of single and double rooms available
- Note internet availability in lodging
- Distance from venue and transportation required between them
- Proposed evening event locations (at least 2, preferably 3)
- Pros and Cons of the proposed location.
Please create your proposal at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flock2014-[CITY]-proposal
Flock 2013's August dates were chosen largely based on the expected release schedule and avoiding other conferences that were likely to draw people who would also want to be at Flock. The 2014 dates can be similarly flexible, so take into consideration local events that we may want to avoid conflicting with (e.g., large festivals that will make hotel space difficult), as well as other conferences, such as:
- OSCON - July 20-24
- LinuxCon North America (and related events) - August 20-22
- GUADEC - July/August (final dates not yet determined)
Review and decision
After bids have been submitted, question and answer will take place on the Template:Flock-planning <email@example.com> mailing list. The previous year's Flock planning committee (which includes the FPL and representatives from FAmSCo, the Fedora Board, and FESCo) will consider all bids and make a choice based on the proposals and expected budget.
- When you're estimating needs, Flock 2013 had roughly 200 attendees. About 150 of them required hotel rooms, most of which were shared rooms.
- Play vendors off against each other. Don't commit to one vendor (such as a hotel) early--let them know that you're considering other vendors, and talk about the strengths of the other vendors. Specifically ask for the best price available. If you prefer vendor A, but vendor B has a better price (even if for a less-desirable product or service), let vendor A know the lower price, and ask them to improve their offer.
- Know what has incremental cost for the vendor and what does not (e.g., food costs money, space or network access that already exists and would otherwise be unused or underutilized doesn't). Ask the vendor about throwing in some things that have no or low incremental cost.
- If the vendor offers an incentive that you don't care about (a half-hour welcome reception, for example, in a situation where the guests will be arriving over a long period of time), ask about substituting something that has more value to you (food for the hack room).
- Contact your local Convention and Visitors Bureau and ask them to supply as much information for the bid to limit your time investment.
- Contact airlines that service the region to discuss possible discounts for attendees.