Putting it all together.
The following is a quick summary to help newcomers undertand the Fonts SIG workflow.
A font package lifecycle
- finds a nice font to package in Fedora,
- checks its licensing is acceptable, basically that:
- redistribution, including commercial is allowed, and
- modification, including of existing glyphs is allowed too
- fills a packaging request in the wiki using the current template
- a complete and accurate request will increase packaging and adoption potential
- notifies the SIG mailing list of the new packaging request (optional but recommended)
- picks up a packaging request in the wishlist,
- corrects and completes the information the requester provided
- using the Packager notes in the template for guidance
- packages the fonts:
# yum install fontpackages-devel
- self-checks the result:
- builds the package in Mock or (if he's already a packager) in a Koji scratch build
- checks the resulting packages with rpmlint
# yum install rpmlint
$ rpmlint package1.rpm … packageN.rpm
- checks the resulting packages with repo-font-audit:
# yum install fontpackages-tools createrepo
$ mkdir /tmp/testrepo
$ mv package1.rpm … packageN.rpm /tmp/testrepo
$ createrepo /tmp/testrepo
$ repo-font-audit testrepo file:///tmp/testrepo
- uploads the fixed packages somewhere
- requests a review
- notifies the SIG mailing list of the new review request (optional but recommended).
- the full joining the fonts SIG list,
- if the packager is not a packager member yet, the way his membership request will be acted on depends on the quality of the new package he proposes.
- makes sure the steps outlined in previous phases have been completed, 1 included
- reviews the package
- ask the requester fix eventual problems
- acts on reviewer requests
- checks the fixes
- approves the package
- requests a VCS root for his package, declaring the fonts-sig user in the default CC list.
- publishes his package in the fedora-devel branch, then in other branches (stable release, EPEL branch, etc)
- completes the distribution comps files
- adds the koji and pkgdb references to the original wiki packaging request
- changes its category to Category:Packaged fonts
- notifies the SIG mailing list of the new package (optional but recommended)
- notifies the font upstream its font has been packaged in Fedora (optional but recommended)
- thanks the packager publicly. Small things count too.
- monitors new upstream releases, new fedora bugs,
- updates his package in fedora-devel accordingly,
- pushes the updates to other Fedora branches when they're worth it
|| Fedora QA
|| A change in Fedora policies or a problem missed earlier may cause a font package to be retired.