Geographic Information System
GIS project is initiative to package GIS related technologies and make it the best distribution for Fedora and EPEL platforms.
Fedora GIS activists hang out in #fedora-gis channel.
- Emerillon - A map viewer for GNOME
- GarminDev - Drivers for communication with Garmin GPS devices
- garmintools - Communication tools for Garmin devices
- GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library
- geoclue - a modular geoinformation service
- GEOS - Geometry Engine - Open Source
- GMT - Generic Mapping Tools
- gpsbabel - A tool to convert between various formats used by GPS devices
- gpscorrelate - A GPS photo correlation / geotagging tool
- gpsd - Service daemon for mediating access to a GPS
- gpsdrive - A GPS based navigation tool
- gpsman - a graphical manager of GPS data that makes possible the preparation, inspection and edition of GPS data in a friendly environment.
- gpxviewer - GPX Viewer is a simple program to visualize a gpx file.
- GRASS - Geographic Resources Analysis Support System
- gypsy - A GPS multiplexing daemon
- JOSM - editor for OpenStreetMap.
- libgarmin - C library to parse and use Garmin image files
- libgeotiff - GeoTIFF format library; License problems with EPSG:
- MapBender - Geospatial portal for OGC OWS architectures
- mapnik - Above all Mapnik is about making beautiful maps
- MapServer - Development environment for building spatially-enabled internet applications
- Merkaartor - Qt-Based OpenStreetMap editor
- MTKBabel - a Perl program to operate the i-Blue 747 GPS data logger.
- OGDI - Open Geographic Datastore Interface
- PostGIS - PostGIS adds support for geographic objects in PostgreSQL
- PROJ.4 - Cartographic Projections Library
- QGIS - Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System
- QLandkarteGT - GPS device mapping tool
- qtgpsc - A client for the gpsd GPS server
- tangoGPS - a lightweight and fast mapping application
- tinyows - WFS-T and FE implementation server (volter started packaging the currenct version; the package is orphaned)
- vifir - A viewer for electronic aviation charts
- viking - GTK2-based GPS data editor and viewer
New Packages Pushed
- python-tilecache - A web map tile caching system
- pgRouting - Provides routing functionality to PostGIS/PostgreSQL
Packages for review
- Navit - Car navigation system with routing engine (viji is working on it).
ossim - High performance software system for remote sensing, image processing , geographical information systems and photogrammetry. (viji is working on it)
- osm2go - osm2go is an editor for openstreetmap.org map data.
- osm2pgsql - osm2pgsql imports map data from OpenStreetMap to a PostgresSQL database
- python-shapely - python-shapely - Geometric objects, predicates, and operations
Wishlist and interesting apps
- GeoNetwork - GeoNetwork is a catalog application to manage spatially referenced resources
- OpenSceneGraph - High performance 3D graphics toolkit (viji started packaging)
- gdal-grass - Standalone GRASS 6 Drivers for GDAL and OGR (viji started packaging)
- SpatiaLite - a complete Spatial DBMS in a nutshell (volter started packaging)
- AtlasStyler - the Styled Layer Descriptor (SLD) / Symbology Encoding (SE) tool for OGC-compatible styling of geodata.
- BeeGIS - opensource tool for Digital Field Mapping. Seems that they didn't try to build it for Linux (although its based upon JGrass/uDig/Eclipse).
- epigramm - Epigrass is a open-source simulation platform created to study epidemics and their spatial (geographic) dynamics
- EPSG - OGP Surveying and Positioning Committee Geodetic Parameter Dataset
- FoxtrotGPS - A mapping and GPS application like tangoGPS (started with packaging FabianAffolter)
- Generate and distribute GPS position fixes from attached GPS devices
- Geopublisher - a software that allows you to create digital multimedia atlases. The atlases can be automatically published on a media (CD, DVD, USB-stick), as well as on the Internet.
- GeoServer - like MapServer but written in Java
- GeoTools - The Open Source Java GIS Toolkit.
- GPStk - Open source library and suite of applications (paused with packaging FabianAffolter)
- HidroSIG - a GIS with special tools that will allow you to make estimations and analysis of hydrological, climatic and geomorphological variables.
- JGrass - open source GIS based on the GIS framework of uDig (that is why the intro looks so similar to that of uDig). JGrass tries to exploit in its engine the power of GRASS.
- libnav - LibNav is an algorithm library for navigation and positioning. (started with packaging FabianAffolter, I thinks that libnav depends on gpstk)
- MapGuide - web-based platform for developing and deployment web mapping applications and geospatial web services.
- OpenEV - software library and application for viewing and analysing raster and vector geospatial data.
- osm2pgsql - A utility program that converts OpenStreetMap (.OSM) data into a format that can be loaded into PostgreSQL
- Thuban - Interactive Geographic Data Viewer.
- uDig - open source (LGPL) desktop application framework, built with Eclipse Rich Client (RCP) technology.
- mumpot - A gtk mapping application
- gmapcatcher - An offline map viewer
- python-gpsd - Python GPS Daemon
- SAGA - GIS with API for processing geodata (volter started packaging)
List of people who share their interest on this topic:
- Hans Ulrich Niedermann (ndim)
- Subhodip Biswas
- Juha Tuomala
- Fabian Affolter
- Peter Lemenkov
- Sven Lankes
- Viji V Nair
- Anne Ghisla
- Volker Fröhlich (volter)
- Mathieu Baudier (mbaudier)
- Kalyan Janakiraman (kalyankj)