- 1 Replace with your actual long proposal name
- 1.1 Contact Information
- 1.2 Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
- 1.3 Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
- 1.4 Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
- 1.5 Proposal Description
- 1.6 Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
Replace with your actual long proposal name
- Name: Amit Saha
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blog URL: http://echorand.me/category/fedora/
- Freenode IRC Nick: amitksaha
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
My second stint as a Fedora user started about an year back, and liked it much more than I had about 10 years ago when I first started using Linux. I was nursing the idea of a custom Linux distribution for scientific and numerical computing for quite some time. I started exploring the options of creating this spin based on Fedora, and the Fedora project's easy and transparent way to propose a custom spin attracted me. In no time I had the Scientific Spin's process rolling. The Scientific Spin was released along with Fedora 16, thanks to the welcoming and co-operative nature of the Spins SIG, release engineering and the Fedora design and websites team.
This first involvement and my growing understanding of the Fedora community makes it a first choice for me for GSoC 2012. Needless to say, my involvement won't start or cease with GSoC.
Past involvement with Fedora Project:
- Creator and Maintainer of the Fedora Scientific Spin
- Mailing list moderator of the SciTech SIG
- Packager (Review awaited)
Past involvement with other Open Source projects:
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
Why should we choose you over the other applicants?
There are a few things which should definitely give me a head-start over other applicants
- My experience of creating and maintaining the Fedora Scientific Spin
- My experience packaging for Fedora
- Existing experience with the toolchain (creating/building Fedora live CDs, kickstart files, installers) desired for the proposed GSoC 2012 project
- Possession of Generic toolset knowledge - community and mailing list interaction, version control system and programming knowhow - Shell scripting, Python scrpting and working with the Fedora tools such as Koji, Pungi, Lorax, etc.
- Documentation is important. My articles have appered in Linux Journal, Linux For You, Linux Gazette and elsewhere. So, I actually like documentation.
Please describe your proposal in detail. Include:
====An overview of your proposal====
====The need you believe it fulfills==== ====Any relevant experience you have====
====How do you intend to implement your proposal====
====Final deliverable of the proposal at the end of the period====
====A rough timeline for your progress====
====Any other details you feel we should consider====