GSOC 2013/Student Application SayanChowdhury/Darkserver improvement(468)
- Your name : Sayan Chowdhury
- FAS Account : sayanchowdhury
- Fedora userpage : Sayanchowdhury
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Telephone: +91 9475889758
- Blog URL: http://fosswithme.wordpress.com/
- Freenode IRC Nick: sayan
Why do you want to work with the Fedora Project?
I would like to be part of Fedora Project because I take immense pleasure working in an open-source community. I started using Linux with Fedora and I am still a Fedora user. Also, I am passionate about programming and have previously contributed in Askbot and Dorrie in Fedora. Therefore, I would like to spend this summer hacking around with this idea.
Do you have any past involvement with the Fedora project or another open source project as a contributor?
Yes, I contributed to a lot of open-source projects. wordgroupz and wordcollections were among my first projects I contributed. I also contributed to Askbot(which powers AskFedora), Transifex, Dorrie. I also have made minor patches to a lot of other open-source projects.
Did you participate with the past GSoC programs, if so which years, which organizations?
Will you continue contributing/ supporting the Fedora project after the GSoC 2013 program, if yes, which team(s), you are interested with?
Yes, I will continue contributing to the Fedora Project even after the GSoC 2013 program. The darkserver in itself has a lot of features to be implemented, so I will continue contributing to this project itself. In the long run, I would like to work with the Fedora-Apps team.
Why should we choose you over other applicants?
I have keen interest increasing my Fedora and FOSS contribution. I also possess good knowledge of the project's codebase.
Overview and The Need
Darkserver is a set of tools and service written in Python to help userspace developers to debug their applications & libraries. People will be able query the service based on build-id(s) or rpm package names. The service will provide output in JSON format as it will be easier for other tools to parse the output.
Any relevant experience you have
As a contributor to various python based open-source projects and also django projects. This would be helping me in integrating the secondary architecture to darkserver which is python-based and the web dashboard which will be written in django.
How do you intend to implement your proposal
1. Integrate support for secondary architecture and CentOS
- The secondary architectures are different koji instances, so will be tracking those instances and implementing in the darkserver. Incase of the CentOS, I will be quering the CentOS developers for the same.
2. Darkserver Web Dashboard
- I will be implementing the web dashboard for darkserver using django, which will retrieve the package informations in the backend and display the details in frontend.
A major refactoring will be done in the code base as discussed with the mentor and also separate job queues will be implemented for different sources.
A rough timeline for your progress
- May 27 - June 17 : Community Bonding Period, Work on the mock-ups and get it reviewed by mentor.
- May 21 - June 11 : Tentative University Exams dates.
- June 17 - July 29 : Integrate support for secondary architecture and CentOS.
- July 29 - August 2 : Mid term Evaluation
- August 2 - August 22 : Refactoring code-base
- August 23 - August 31 : Implement a read-only web dashboard for darkserver
- September 1 - September 15 : Implement an url cache, instead of retrieving it from koji.
- September 16 - September 22 : Review Code, write documentation.
- September 23 : Firm 'pencils down' date.
Darkserver will be supporting the secondary architecture and centos. Darkserver will also feature a web dashboard (read-only) which will display all the relevant information of the packages. The Darkserver will also provide with the download links faster as it will be retreived from the local cache.
Any other details you feel we should consider
I have keen interest increasing my Fedora and FOSS contribution. I also possess good knowledge of the project's codebase and I have been in regular touch with my mentor for past one month
Have you communicated with a potential mentor? If so, who?
Yes, I have communicated with the potential mentor, Kushal