Contrary to what many people may think, there is a growing number of Free and open source games available for Linux. From first-person shooters to RPGs to card games to puzzles and roguelikes, there is plenty to do if you don't feel like working.
A sampling of the current games available from Fedora are listed here. All games are open source, and are free to download and play! Entries marked with are games that may require a 3D accelerated graphics card.
- 2008-02-08 Red Hat Magazine: 113 Fedora games
- 2007-06-11 Red Hat Magazine: Five great games in Fedora
- btanks - Funny battle game with tanks
- Wormux / Warmux - 2D Convivial Mass Murder Game!
- paintown - 2D Fighting Game
Action: First Person Shooters
- freedoom - A new set of episodes for DOOM2.
- bzflag - Tank versus tank in a battle of mayhem and strategy
- openarena - Open source first person shooter based on Quake III Arena
- tremulous - First Person Shooter game based on the Quake 3 engine
- xonotic - Xonotic, formerly known as Nexuiz, is a first-person shooter based on the Darkplaces engine, built on OpenGL technology.
- Red Eclipse - Red Eclipse is an opensoure first person shooter that runs on the Cube Engine 2.
- freedink - 2D adventure/rpg where you save the world and harm animals; it's also an engine/editor for around 100 fan-made additional adventures
- scummvm - A Engine that runs Retro-Adventuregames.
- openclonk - Multiplayer action, tactics and skill game
Arcade and Classic Games
- bsd-games - A collection of 42 classic text based games including 'adventure' and 'wump'
- freedroid - Clone of the C64 game Paradroid
- lacewing - Another multiplayer space shooter
- overgod - Another multiplayer space shooter
- scorched3d - 3D accelerated version of Scorched Earth
- xpilot-ng - A multiplayer space shooter
- xscorch - Tanks fighting other tanks
- tecnoballz - A Brick Busting game
- Frozen Bubble - Brick / Bubble burst game like Dr.Mario
- Aisleriot Solitaire - Collection of card games which are easy to play with the aid of a mouse.
- L'Abbaye des Morts - Platform game set in 13th century
- Abe's Amazing Adventure - A side-scrolling arcade game akin to the old C64 games
- The Legend of Edgar - Edgar must battle his way across the world, solving puzzles and defeating powerful enemies to achieve his quest.
- supertux - A classic 2D jump'n run sidescroller game
- gnubik - 3D interactive graphics puzzle
- kubrick - Puzzle cube solving game
- pengupop - Networked Game in the vein of Move/Puzzle Bobble!
- tong - An odd mixture of multiple arcade games
- neverball - Table tilt game, Roll a ball through an obstacle course with your mouse!
- pipepanic - Connect as many different shaped pipes together as possible within the time given
- Mine Detector - a mine-finding game with somewhat different rules from other mine-finding games
- Gnome Mines - Mines (previously gnomine) is a puzzle game where you locate mines floating in an ocean.
- haxima - An old-school RPG game built on the Nazghul game engine
- nethack - Hunt for the Amulet of Yendor
- nethack-vultures - Enhanced version of NetHack and Slash'EM
- rogue - The original terminal-based role playing game
- ularn - Another roguelike rpg
- crawl - Roguelike dungeon exploration game
RPG: Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG)
- crossfire - 2D Multiplayer RPG, similar to the 'Gauntlet' arcade game
- ember - 3D client for WorldForge
- The Mana World - A free open source 2D MMORPG in development!
- Free Online RPG games currently still in beta!
- powermanga - An Arcade Shoot'Em'Up Game!
- raidem - A fast-paced 2d top-down shoot'em up
- lincity-ng - City Simulation Game Website
- vegastrike - An OpenGL 3d space trade/combat simulation in the spirit of Elite. Website
- VDrift - open source driving simulation made with drift racing in mind. Website
- Pioneer - A game of lonely space adventure Website
- extreme tux racer - 3D racing game featuring Tux
- SuperTuxKart - 3D Kart racing game with many characters and tracks
- 0 A.D. - A free, open-source game of ancient warfare Website
- Battle for Wesnoth - Turn-based Tactics and Strategy Game with a Fantasy Theme!
- warzone2100 - 3D single and multiplayer realtime strategy... formerly commercial Website
- freeciv - World conquest Website
- freecol - Colonization-like strategy game Website
- megaglest - 3D real time strategy game website
- gnugo - Text-based Go program Website
- grhino - Reversi game for GNOME Website
- quarry - Multi-purpose board game GUI Website
- qascade - Classic puzzle game Website
- netpanzer - An Online Multiplayer Tactical Warfare Game222 Website
- OpenClonk - 2D sidescroller with sandbox landscapes Website
- spring - Multiplayer, 3D realtime strategy combat gameWebsite
- uqm - The Ur-Quan Masters, a port of the classic game Star Control II - Needs large amount of data downloaded from a third party to run Website
Utilities and Engines
- nazghul - An old-school RPG engine
- prboom - Doom/Doom2/Heretic game engine
- deutex - Doom wad file manipulator
- yadex - Doom level editor
Special Interest Group: Games
Take a look at the Fedora SIG for Games if you are interested in packaging, debugging, testing, or suggesting games. Any help will be appreciated.