"Stuff that Greg did for Red Hat or Fedora at various times
Red Hat duties
- Godfather/instigator of the Func project, precursor to the Ansible project, 2007 (fr1st p0st)
- New Hire Orientation -- I explained "the open source way" to over 1500 new Red Hat employees, 2004-2010.
- Editor of the Education Channel for opensource.com, 2009-2010.
- Architect of Red Hat's strategy in higher education, 2008-2010, including the creation of the Professor's Open Source Summer Experience, a weeklong intensive bootcamp that immerses professors in open source projects.
- Primary Author/Editor of Practical Open Source Software Engineering, a textbook-in-progress for CS professors
- Community Liaison to the One Laptop Per Child Project, 2008-2009. Examples of work:
- Contributing editor for "Red Hat Magazine", 2004 - 2007. A personal favorite:
- Voice of "Ask Shadowman", Red Hat Magazine, 2004-2007. Some personal favorites:
- Executive director of the Red Hat High program, 2006-2007
- Fedora Project Leader, 2005-2006
- Engineering Manager, Red Hat Network, 2001-2004
I was responsible for building the Fedora governance model as it currently exists; the goal was to build a structure that empowers non-RH employees to work as effectively in the Fedora community as Red Hat employees do. Results have been mixed, but generally positive. :)
Principles I lived by during my tenure as FPL:
- If it can't be run effectively by a non-Redhatter, then it shouldn't bear the Fedora name.
- It's okay for the community to be disappointed -- but it's never okay for the community to be surprised.
Stuff I've done:
- Organized the first six FUDCons (Fedora User and Developer Conferences)
- Founder of the Fedora Cloud Special Interest Group
- Founder of the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee, February 2005 (originally the Fedora Extras Steering Committee)
- Established the Fedora Documentation Team and appointed Karsten Wade at its head, April 2005
- Established the Fedora Marketing Team and appointed Colin Charles as its head, May 2005
- Established the Fedora Ambassadors Team and appointed Alex Maier as its head, December 2005
- Built the Fedora Events Schedule, December 2005
Other Governance Experience
- Current: Board Member, ISKME (Institute for the Study of Knowledge Management in Education)
- Current: Council member, IntraHealth Open
- Founding member of Sugar Labs oversight board, 2009
Keynotes / Presentations / Interviews
- Upcoming: Presentation at POSSCON, April 2010
- Interview with LinuxQuestions.org from May 2009
- Interview with Armen Zambrano at SIGCSE 2009 (flash video)
- Interview at GOSCON, the government open source conference in Washington DC, 2009 (flash video)
- Interview with Paul Frields about Fedora 10, December 2008 (flash video)
- Interview with Phoronix, March 2006
- Keynote at Linuxfest Northwest, 2006
Doing my best to track all of these down. It'll take a while. :)