(→Release name history: adding Fedora 20)
(Fedora 21 and subsequent releases won't bear a name)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
This page documents
This page documents release names Fedora . In much older releases the name was decided by a small group of people internal to Red Hat, but has become a community process in later releases.
== Release name relationships ==
== Release name relationships ==
Revision as of 16:06, 1 February 2015
This page documents release names prior to their termination following Fedora 20. In much older releases the name was decided by a small group of people internal to Red Hat, but has become a community process in later releases.
- 1 Release name relationships
- 2 Release name history
- 2.1 Fedora 20 (Heisenbug)
- 2.2 Fedora 19 (Schrödinger's Cat)
- 2.3 Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)
- 2.4 Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)
- 2.5 Fedora 16 (Verne)
- 2.6 Fedora 15 (Lovelock)
- 2.7 Fedora 14 (Laughlin)
- 2.8 Fedora 13 (Goddard)
- 2.9 Fedora 12 (Constantine)
- 2.10 Fedora 11 (Leonidas)
- 2.11 Fedora 10 (Cambridge)
- 2.12 Fedora 9 (Sulphur)
- 2.13 Fedora 8 (Werewolf)
- 2.14 Fedora 7 (Moonshine)
- 2.15 Fedora Core 6 (Zod)
- 2.16 Fedora Core 5 (Bordeaux)
- 2.17 Fedora Core 4 (Stentz)
- 2.18 Fedora Core 3 (Heidelberg)
- 2.19 Fedora Core 2 (Tettnang)
- 2.20 Fedora Core 1 (Yarrow)
Release name relationships
Name n and n+1 must share an is-a (not a has-a) relationship, but n and n+2 must not share the same is-a relationship as n and n+1. The release names we put up for vote tend to have multiple meanings so as to allow us to select a new name with a different relationship for the next release. It is part of the fun!
Release name history
Fedora 20 (Heisenbug)
- Heisenbug is a term for a software bug that seems to disappear or alter its behaviour when one attempts to study it.
Fedora 19 (Schrödinger's Cat)
- Schrödinger's cat corresponds to a theoretical thought experiment.
Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow)
- Spherical Cow is something that has never been observed, and may also therefore be considered as a theoretical thought experiment.
Fedora 17 (Beefy Miracle)
- Beefy Miracle is a name that was suggested for Fedora 16 (like Verne), and is also something that has never been observed.
Fedora 16 (Verne)
- James Lovelock is a futurologist, and so was Jules Verne
Fedora 15 (Lovelock)
- Laughlin is a city in the state of Nevada (United States), and so is Lovelock.
Fedora 14 (Laughlin)
- Robert H. Goddard was a professor of physics, and so was Robert Laughlin.
Fedora 13 (Goddard)
- Константи́н Эдуа́рдович Циолко́вский (Konstantin/Constantine Tsiolkovsky) was a rocket scientist, and so was Robert Goddard.
Fedora 12 (Constantine)
- Constantine is the name of Township in St. Joseph County, Michigan in the United States, as well as a name of a bay in the United Kingdom.
- There are several other connections listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine
Fedora 11 (Leonidas)
- Leonidas was a ship in the United States Navy.
- Leonidas is also the name of a king.
Fedora 10 (Cambridge)
- Cambridge is a city in the United States, as well as being original code name of Red Hat Linux 10 (before it became Fedora Core 1), and was the name of a ship in the United States Navy.
- Voting results: http://jwboyer.fedorapeople.org/fedora10relname.txt.asc
Fedora 9 (Sulphur)
- Sulphur is an element that causes an adverse reaction (tarnishing) when it contacts silver. In mythology, it is an element used to drive away werewolves. Sulphur is also a city in the United States.
Fedora 8 (Werewolf)
- Werewolf is the name of a movie about a dude who turns into a werewolf. A werewolf also has an adverse reaction (death) when it comes into contact with silver.
Fedora 7 (Moonshine)
- Moonshine is an independent record label, and also the name of a movie.
Fedora Core 6 (Zod)
- General Zod is a character in the DC Comics universe, as well as an independent record label.
Fedora Core 5 (Bordeaux)
- Bordeaux is a wine-producing region in France, as well as a comic book character.
Fedora Core 4 (Stentz)
- Andre Stentz is a French winery. As such, both Heidelberg and Stentz are distributors of alcoholic beverages.
Fedora Core 3 (Heidelberg)
- Heidelberg is a city in Germany, and also a brand/distributor of beer.
Fedora Core 2 (Tettnang)
- Tettnang is a city in Germany that is a producer of hops.
Fedora Core 1 (Yarrow)
- Yarrow is a plant with many uses. Prior to the use of hops in the flavoring of beer, yarrow was used for this purpose.