History of Fedora release names
This page documents the release names for current and previous releases of Fedora. In much older releases the name was decided by a small group of people internal to Red Hat, but has become a community process in later releases.
Release name relationships
Name n and n+1 must share an is-a (not a has-a) relationship, but n and n+2 must not share the same is-a relationship as n and n+1. The release names we put up for vote tend to have multiple meanings so as to allow us to select a new name with a different relationship for the next release. It is part of the fun!
Release name history
Fedora 12 (Constantine)
- Constantine is the name of Township in St. Joseph County, Michigan in the United States, as well as a name of a bay in the United Kingdom.
There are several other connections listed at
Fedora 11 (Leonidas)
- Leonidas was a ship in the United States Navy.
Fedora 10 (Cambridge)
- Cambridge is a city in the United States, as well as being original code name of Red Hat Linux 10 (before it became Fedora Core 1), and was the name of a ship in the United States Navy.
- Voting results: http://jwboyer.fedorapeople.org/fedora10relname.txt.asc
Fedora 9 (Sulphur)
- Sulphur is an element that causes an adverse reaction (tarnishing) when it contacts silver. In mythology, it is an element used to drive away werewolves. Sulphur is also a city in the United States.
Fedora 8 (Werewolf)
- Werewolf is the name of a movie about a dude who turns into a werewolf. A werewolf also has an adverse reaction (death) when it comes into contact with silver.
Fedora 7 (Moonshine)
- Moonshine is an independent record label, and also the name of a movie.
Fedora Core 6 (Zod)
- General Zod is a character in the DC Comics universe, as well as an independent record label.
Fedora Core 5 (Bordeaux)
- Bordeaux is a wine-producing region in France, as well as a comic book character.
Fedora Core 4 (Stentz)
- Andre Stentz is a French winery. As such, both Heidelberg and Stentz are distributors of alcoholic beverages.
Fedora Core 3 (Heidelberg)
- Heidelberg is a city in Germany, and also a brand/distributor of beer.
Fedora Core 2 (Tettnang)
- Tettnang is a city in Germany that is a producer of hops.
Fedora Core 1 (Yarrow)
- Yarrow is a plant with many uses. Prior to the use of hops in the flavoring of beer, yarrow was used for this purpose.