Entering Rescue Mode
Using GRUB legacy
While your system is starting up, hold down the Ctrl key or Esc to see the boot loader menu. After you see the menu:
- Use the arrows to select the boot entry you want to modify.
- Press e to edit the entry.
- Use the arrows to go to kernel line.
- Press a or e to append this entry.
- At the end of the line add the word single or the number 1.
- Press Enter to accept the changes.
- Press b to boot this kernel.
A series of text messages scrolls by and after a short time, a root prompt appears awaiting your commands (#).
While booting the system the GRUB2 menu will be displayed, to boot into the rescue mode follow these steps:
- Use the arrow keys to select the boot entry you want to edit
- Press e to start editing that entry
- Use the arrow keys to go to the line that start with linux
- Go the the end of that line (by pressing End) add a space then the word single or the number 1
- Press Ctrl-x or F10 to boot that entry