IRC operators code of conduct
Channel Operator's Code of Conduct
Channel operators should monitor the channel for any shifts they are signed up for, and take the following actions:
- Users who use profanity should be warned once, then removed from the channel for 24 hours.
- Users who paste or dump large amounts of text in the channel (more than 4 lines) should be warned once, then removed from the channel for 24 hours.
- Users who are consistently off topic AND NOT HELPING when others are trying to get help should be warned once and then removed from the channel for 24 hours.
- Users who are dropping on or off and flooding the channel with many leave/join messages may be removed from the channel until they contact and Operator in #fedora-ops.
- Long term or repeat offenders may be removed for longer time periods at the descretion of the entire pool of Operators.
- Users who consistently provide incorrect or dangerous help (telling users to 'rm -rf /' or the like) will be warned once and then removed from the channel for 24 hours.
Don't keep channel operator privileges. Displaying these privileges on your nick with a "+o" attracts participants who are interested in gaining them and using them actively; it also attracts the attention of participants who react negatively to authority. Have your nick added to the channel access list and op yourself only when needed.
Any time a channel operator removes a user from the channel They should mail a short exerpt from the channel log to the pool of all channel operators, and explain why action was taken. (A mailing list or alias for all Operators should be established).
Channel operators should tell the incoming shift of any special activities or issues that took place in their shift, as well as any bans that should be removed.
New channel operators should be elevated from the group of channel helpers. Interested helpers should be nominated and approved by a majority vote of the other existing operators. New Operators should agree to follow these guidelines and be added to a alias or mailing list.