Name: Matt Domsch
Fedora Account Name: mdomsch
Infrastructure Sponsor: mdomsch
Secondary Contact info
Name: Jeff Garzik
Fedora Account Name: jgarzik
Group: Kernel Developers
Project Name: IPv6 Connectivity for Infrastructure
Target Audience: IPv6-capable users
Expiration/Delivery Date (required): 12/31/2009
Description/Summary: Fedora Infrastructure services are not reachable via IPv6. This plan allows FI to serve both IPv4 and IPv6 users.
Project plan (Detailed):
- Discover and use native IPv6 connectivity if offered in each of our data centers.
- Telia is reported to have it
- Options: 6to4 gateway server, or 6to4 on each public-facing (static IP) server.
- Convert services one by one to serve IPv6 natively.
- Proxy Servers
Specific resources needed
- publictest instance in PHX for the 6to4 gateway and/or a proxy server which itself uses 6to4.
IPv6 Capabilities by Data Center
- PHX - unknown
- PHX2 - hardware capable, but native routing not configured, and no plans to enable.
- telia - native IPv6 available, need address space delegations
- tummy - none available. Request filed with Kevin Fenzi.
- serverbeach - none available.
- ibiblio - native IPv6 available, dynamic addresses assigned on ibiblio1 and its guests already.
- BU - unknown
- osuosl - planned by "end of summer". Check back in a few months.
Potential IPv6 services given DC capabilities
As ibiblio already has IPv6 connectivity, these are the servers and their apps that could be easily enabled.
- proxy4 (therefore web apps behind it)
- torrent1 (torrents)
- ns2 (DNS)