About Keyword Optimization
Search engines analyze source code and use text matching algorithms to display pages with the most relevance to a particular keyword or phrase that is used in a search query. Therefore, it is very important that web pages have specific keywords and phrases they are optimized for so that they attract the highest levels of relevant traffic possible. For example, if a user uses the search term "basketball," a web page with that exact text is much more likely to appear in search results compared to another page with similar content that uses the term "orange bouncing sphere."
Keyword Optimization is the process of improving search engine rankings by efficiently utilizing keywords and phrases within web pages so that they match the most commonly used search terms and phrases used by people on the Internet.
Purpose & Principles
Below is the primary purpose of the project and the standards and behaviors we'll need to adhere to make it successful.
- To enhance FedoraProject.org's search engine ranking by optimizing new and existing pages with high traffic keywords and phrases therefore increasing web traffic and more efficiently engaging our target demographic.
- It is important throughout this process that we stay organized to ensure that we are working as efficiently as possible.
- In order to stay organized, all questions, comments, etc., should be sent to the Marketing Team with attention to Garland Binns (gbinns).
- We need to determine if there is a method of being able to track new pages as they are created so we can keep an accurate queue of what is pending to be optimized.
- We should use in-line comments around elements we're optimizing to make sure other groups and individuals are aware of our changes.
- This is a large project - it is important that we break everything up into realistic and manageable weekly tasks so that we can strive to always maintain forward progress.
There are many innovative things we can achieve by ensuring that this project is successful.
- Enhancing FedoraProject.org's search engine ranking by adding already existing pages to search engine indexes that correlate with popular keywords and phrases.
- Gaining many new users and contributers.
- Bloggers, authors, freelance writers, and other members of the media will come across our pages more often thus giving us more press that will aid in increasing our market share.
- We become the distribution with the highest number of page hits according to DistroWatch.com.
Possible ideas we need to take into consideration that might affect the outcome.
- Garland Binns (gbinns) is a new contributor to the Fedora Project. We should designate a person who knows the Fedora Project like the back of their hand so he can seek their advice as needed when researching keywords/selecting phrases on pages that he is optimizing.
- We should start first on pages with the highest traffic. We can measure our success by creating a spreadsheet of pages that are being optimized and regularly monitoring their respective search engine rankings.
- Do we have any analytics that measure downloads? What about the creation of FAS accounts? Mailing list sign-ups? Do we have the ability to setup conversions where we can track visitors and whether or not they take one of the aforementioned actions?
- How does DistroWatch.com determine page hits for different distributions?
- When creating a FAS account, perhaps we can add a drop-down field for "How did you hear about the Fedora Project?" Perhaps we could also add this to the optional system information submission screen on all Fedora installs too?
- Can we add a Google Analytics tracking tag to FedoraProject.org so that we can get more free detailed tracking of user behavior on the website?
- Should we add keyword and phrases that we are optimizing pages for to the Wiki?
Mission-critical components, key milestones, and deliverables.
- Marketing Team
- Websites Team
- Aggregate participants in project.
- Create master keyword list.
- Create master ranking spreadsheet.
- Implement keyword optimization changes.
- Monitor results, re-optimize if necessary.
- Determine Keywords
- Choose Pages/Implement Changes
- Regular Monitoring of Results
- Google Search
- HTML Editor
- Keyword Suggestion Tool
- Spreadsheet Application
All the aspects of the project that could be moved on right now, what the next action is for each part, and who's responsible for what.
- Team Member: Garland Binns (gbinns)
- Submit revised Wiki page, collect feedback and answer questions.
- Select date to begin project.