The Fedora Project Individual Contributor License Agreement
The Fedora Project
Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA)
Thank you for your interest in The Fedora Project (the "Project"). In order to clarify the intellectual property license granted with Contributions from any person or entity, Red Hat, Inc. ("Red Hat"), as maintainer of the Project, must have a Contributor License Agreement (CLA) on file that has been signed by each Contributor, indicating agreement to the license terms below. This license is for Your protection as a Contributor as well as the protection of the Project and its users; it does not change your rights to use your own Contributions for any other purpose.
You and the Project hereby accept and agree to the following terms and conditions:
- 1. Contributors and Contributions.
- A. The Project and any individual or legal entity that voluntarily submits to the Project a Contribution are collectively addressed herein as "Contributors". For legal entities, the entity making a Contribution and all other entities that control, are controlled by, or are under common control with that entity are considered to be a single Contributor. For the purposes of this definition, "control" means (i) the power, direct or indirect, to cause the direction or management of such entity, whether by contract or otherwise, or (ii) ownership of fifty percent (50%) or more of the outstanding shares, or (iii) beneficial ownership of such entity.
- B. A "Contribution" is any original work, including any modification or addition to an existing work, that has been submitted for inclusion in, or documentation of, any of the products owned or managed by the Project, where such work originates from that particular Contributor or from some entity acting on behalf of that Contributor.
- C. A Contribution is "submitted" when any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication is sent to the Project, including but not limited to communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control systems, and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the Project for the purpose of discussing or improving software or documentation of the Project, but excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise designated in writing by you as "Not a Contribution."
- D. Any Contribution submitted by you to the Project shall be under the terms and conditions of this License, without any additional terms or conditions, unless you explicitly state otherwise in the submission.
- 2. Contributor Grant of License. You hereby grant to Red Hat, Inc., on behalf of the Project, and to recipients of software distributed by the Project:
- (a) a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up, royalty free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute your Contribution and such derivative works; and,
- (b) a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up, royalty free, irrevocable (subject to Section 3) patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer your Contribution and derivative works thereof, where such license applies only to those patent claims licensable by you that are necessarily infringed by your Contribution alone or by combination of your Contribution with the work to which you submitted the Contribution. Except for the license granted in this section, you reserve all right, title and interest in and to your Contributions.
- 3. Reciprocity. As of the date any such litigation is filed, your patent grant shall immediately terminate with respect to any party that institutes patent litigation against you (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that your Contribution, or the work to which you have contributed, constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement.
- 4. You represent that you are legally entitled to grant the above license. If your employer(s) has rights to intellectual property that you create that includes your Contributions, you represent that you have received permission to make Contributions on behalf of that employer, that your employer has waived such rights for your Contributions to the Project, or that your employer has executed a separate Corporate CLA with the Project.
- 5. You represent that each of your Contributions is your original creation (see section 7 for submissions on behalf of others). You represent that your Contribution submission(s) include complete details of any third-party license or other restriction (including, but not limited to, related copyright, patents and trademarks) of which you are personally aware and which are associated with any part of your Contribution.
- 6. You are not expected to provide support for your Contributions, except to the extent you desire to provide support. You may provide support for free, for a fee, or not at all. Your Contributions are provided on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied, including, without limitation, any warranties or conditions of NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
- 7. Should you wish to submit work that is not your original creation, you may submit it to the Project separately from any Contribution, identifying the complete details of its source and of any license or other restriction (including, but not limited to, related patents, trademarks, and license agreements) of which you are personally aware, and conspicuously marking the work as "Submitted on behalf of a third-party: [named here] ".
- 8. You agree to notify the Project of any facts or circumstances of which you become aware that would make these representations inaccurate in any respect.
- 9. The Project is under no obligations to accept and include every contribution.