Fedora Project Board Meeting (2006-09-19)
No one is opposed to kernel module proposal. This is not entirely a technical discussion but also an organizational one.
- DavidZeuthen. wrote a bunch of scripts that build a fs image out of repositories. It produces workable live CDs very easily. Very different way of looking at the problem than Kadischi, and a good start. It doesn't use Anaconda at all.
- MaxSpevack wants a single Live CD project for the community to get behind. We want to see community uptake of whatever is seen as the best solution, but we also want a working CD image for FC6 (or shortly thereafter).
- We are happy with having a working image and not a working generator project at that point; that work can continue.
- ChristopherBlizzard will talk to DavidZeuthen about interfacing with the Kadischi folks.
- We need now to look at subproject health and see if trimming or beefing up is necessary.
- Assign a Board owner per project, to see if things are moving well. Responsibilities would include poking the project head once every X time frame to get status.
- People involved in subprojects should probably be assigned a different subproject for poking.
- MaxSpevack will draft a list.
- JeremyKatz thinks we're going to make the October 9th FC6 target date.
- WillWoods and MaxSpevack talked about the FC6
Blocker bug and the FC6
Tracker bug to see if these things are going to be appropriately fixed or punted by final. We don't want to just slip them randomly because people decided they can't or don't want to fix them. MaxSpevack is of the opinion WillWoods should be empowered to get nasty with people to get things fixed.
- There's a Tues+Thurs meeting currently to work on these issues. BillNottingham, JesseKeating, and JeremyKatz make the final decisions on things that need to be fixed (resource placement).
- MaxSpevack doesn't want this held hostage to things like RHEL deadlines.
- Right now there are roughly 200 bugs on the blocker list.
- JeremyKatz will do nagmails since JesseKeating is on paternity leave.
- MaxSpevack got an email from DavidEisenstein saying Fedora Legacy was dead in the water.
- The work is hard and there are very few people doing anything with it, but yet there are many expectations. It's a pretty small but vocal number of people affected by this. Security releases are all that's supposed to be done, but even that work is slow.
- ElliotLee suggests that we need more volunteers for this effort, and that JesseKeating would need to educate them on what needs to be done (i.e. how to help).
- MaxSpevack muses about whether this situation would be helped by paying someone to do this work.
ACTION ITEMS: None for now. Board should revisit this issue.
NTFS Kernel Modules
- MaxSpevack will push this with Legal.
- MaxSpevack to get Legal opinion.
Fedora Directory Server
- Board not sure of status.
- FDS is not currently rebuilding per release, but RahulSundaram says the current version does work on FC6/Rawhide.
- ChristopherBlizzard advised that Bob would certainly provide info if contacted.
- ChristopherBlizzard to email Bob for update.