The Fedora Moblin™ Netbook spin is a spin on the Moblin User Experience for Netbooks in Fedora
- Name: Peter Robinson
- email: pbrobinson at gmail dot com
The Moblin Architecture is designed to support multiple platforms and usage models ranging from Netbooks and NetTops to Mobile Internet Devices (MID) and various embedded usage models, such as In Vehicle Infotainment systems. The central piece of the architecture is the common layer called "Moblin Core". Moblin Core is built on the GNOME Mobile platform, extending and enriching it with new technologies like Clutter, GUPnP and mojito. The Moblin Core is the core desktop environment that sits of top of Fedora, and above the Moblin Core are the specific user interface and user interaction model for the target device(s).
Benefit to Fedora
The current release of Fedora GUI environments aren't optimised for the small screen environments of NetBook and MID devices. This will allow for a desktop environment that is optimised for these newer small, cheap devices that are becoming popular.
ISO Name / FS Label
The current plan is to base the Spin on Moblin 2.2. If there are issues with getting Moblin 2.2 into Fedora due to either upstream or other issues we will fall back to shipping Moblin 2.1 which already has all required packages in Fedora rawhide although some may require updates.
Scope / Testing
- Run basic spin testing
- Test installs from livecd and usb, test livecdcreator
- Test the moblin user interface including core components
- Test various X drivers for OpenGL support or whether it falls back to software rendering
The future of the Mobile internet.
The Fedora Moblin Spin is a Fedora-based operating system designed with the mobile device developer and user in mind. We started with Moblin, a hardware and usage model independent layer built on the GNOME Mobile platform that provides one uniform way to do development across mobile platforms, then enriched it with new open source technologies also intended for mobile development.
The result is an integrated software experience suitable for use on multiple platforms, including netbooks, nettops, mobile internet devices, and embedded usage models such as vehicle infotainment systems.
Try the future of the mobile internet today. Learn more.
Here are just a few of the features highlighted in the Fedora Moblin Spin:
- Clutter, an OpenGL-based software library for creating fast, visually rich, portable and animated graphical user interfaces with an easy-to-use API.
- GUPnP, an object-oriented framework for creating UPnP devices and control points, allowing mobile devices running the Fedora Moblin Spin to connect with consumer electronics products from over 899 vendors working together to create the the UPnP standard.
- Bisho, a tool to configure user and account details for the libsocialweb social network aggregation service, which allows users to both fetch and update data from photos and upcoming events to microblogs, online auctions and more.
Download the Fedora Moblin spin for Netbook and Nettop computers.
* #fedora on freenode.net: irc://irc.freenode.net/fedora * #fedora-mini on freenode.net: irc://irc.freenode.net/fedora
* Fedora-list: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
* Fedora Forum: http://www.fedoraforum.org/
* Moblin in the Fedora wiki: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Moblin
To be discussed with the Fedora Design team
Comments and Discussion
- See Talk:Moblin_Spin