This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 13 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Leonidas → Constantine → <new name>? Constantine is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Leonidas and Constantine was "both are townships in St. Joseph County, Michigan, USA." The link between Constantine and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: November 10 to November 16
- List to Fedora Board: November 16 to November 21
- Legal Review of Board approved names: November 21 to November 28
- Community vote on final name: November 28 to December 4
- Name announced: December 5, 2009
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Constantine is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Leonidas to Constantine, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved !|
|Keating||name of a figure involved in a prominent American political scandal (Keating Five, Eliot Spitzer)||Yes (Really? How? --PWF (Celtic patterns! --mizmo)|
|Bacon||name of a food, name of an artist with works on display at the Des Moines Art Center (Constantin Brâncuşi, Francis Bacon)||possible conflict with Bacon Software (Suggested for F11 and couldn't be used there for the same reason. --PWF)||Yes|
|Fairey||famous plagarist||(Negative connotation --PWF)||Yes|
|Kennedy||the first Catholic ruler of his nation/empire|
|Radiohead||band that recorded a Neil Young cover||(Unlikely to survive legal review. --PWF)|
|Gates||Ivy League professor that was a victim of racism covered by the news media.|
|Lincoln||Leader during a civil war||Yes|
|Underwood||finalist in American Idol season 4|
|Stars||indie-rock band from Toronto, Canada.||Yes|
|Dr. Who||name of a doctor on Dr. Who||("The Doctor" was the character's name. Also unlikely to survive legal review. --PWF)|
|Blue Ridge||name of a carpet manufacturer in the Dalton, GA area||Yes|
|Ronan||name of a Cornish saint||(Another religious figure? --PWF)|
|Truro||a civil parish in Cornwall|
|Pendragon||a king buried at Stonehenge.||possible conflict with Pendragon Software|
|Devil||Constantine is a fallen person, and Devil is a fallen angel. Persons from "constantine" movie and link is "fallen"||(Too many negative connotations to theme. --PWF)|
|Mephisto||Constantine is a fallen person, and Mephisto is a one of names of fallen angel. Persons from "constantine" movie and link is "fallen"||(Too many negative connotations to theme. --PWF)|
|Ashoka||Ashoka is an Indian emperor. Ashoka is also the name of a flowering tree found in South Asia.||(Constantine is not an Indian emperor. --PWF)|
|Rebirth||There were details of rebirth in both, Old Testament and New Testament. In 325 AD, Roman King Constantine and his mother Helena deleted this chapter on rebirth.|
|Plato||Constantine is a street name in Cainta, Rizal, Philippines and so is Plato.|
|Apollo||Constantine is a street name in Cainta, Rizal, Philippines and so is Apollo.|
|Midnite||Papa Midnite has a bar in the movie 'Constantine'|
|Jovian||4th Century Roman emperor|
|Friday||'Constantine' was a [bad] movie, Friday 13 is a series of slasher movies. It should be called just 'Friday' to not enter in conflict with the film franchise.||Yes: Plenty of opportunities: go with bright lucky charms, to balance the 'friday' and '13', or alternatively, dark, gloomy, slasher|
|Hellblazer||Comic book and Graphic Novel series. Its central character is the streetwise magician John Constantine.|
|Charles||Constantine was an emperor and so was Charles (IV).|
|Mitchell||French actor/singer named "Eddy".|
|Ramanujan||Constantine Caratheodory was a famous greek mathematician, so was Srinivasa Ramanujan (they were also of a same era)||Yes, symbols|
|Buland Darwaza||The Arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch in Rome, so is Buland Darwaza.||Yes|
|Megavissey||Constantine Bay is in Cornwall, so is Megavissey.||Yes|
|Watergate||Bay in Cornwall.||Yes|
|Sobers||Sir Garfield Sobers, West Indian allrounder, as was Sir Learie Constatine.||Yes|
|Milan||Constantine, 1st Roman emperor to support Christianity, proclaimed the Edict of Milan in 313 granting religious freedom to all.|
|Byzantium||Constantine, 1st Roman emperor to support Christianity, created a new central, Christian city for the Roman Empire at Byzantium (later, Istanbul)|
|Methodius||Constantine is a missionary of Christianity to the Slavs, so is Methodius|
|Segovia||Spanish City, with to the Roman Empire engineering + Classical Guitarrist|
|Quilpue||Constantine is a small town, in Michigan, so is Quilpue, in Chile|
|Stonehenge||Legendary prehistoric monument where The King Constantine III was buried||Please note that Stonehenge is the name of a place in the U.K. Anyone could use it|
|Cesar||Constantine is a Roman emperor and Cesar too|
|Namuncura||Constantine is a Saint and Ceferino Namuncurá too|
|Caligula||Both are Roman emperors.|
|Butterfly||* is a barber shop in london|
|Qin Shi Huang||Controversial emperors|
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal
Various connections that could be explored. "Constantine is a ..."
- bay in the UK
- 12th century translator
- emperor of the Roman Empire
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Board Approved||Legal Approved|