This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 13 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Constantine → Goddard → <new name>? Goddard is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Constantine and Goddard was "both are names of rocket scientists." The link between Goddard and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: April 21 to April 27
- List to Fedora Board: April 27 to April 29
- Legal Review of Board approved names: April 29 to May 3
- Community vote on final name: May 4 to 10
- Name announced: May 11
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Goddard is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Constantine to Goddard, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|
|Guinness||Sir Alec Guinness was a legendary british actor like Willoughby Goddard. He plays in great movies like Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Hotel Paradiso and so on.||No easy collisions in IT, computers, technology. Red Hat 7 was codenamed 'Guinness'.||Themeable according to his great movies like "Lawrance of Arabia" (an arabic like dessert theme)|
|Scofield||Paul Scofield was a legendary british actor like Willoughby Goddard. He plays great roles in Shakespeare dramas.||"Scofield Associates," local Maryland (USA) vendor, probably low risk since they don't even have a web site||Themeable according to his great roles in Shakespeare plays like MacBeth Henry V|
|Bhanji or Kingsley||"Sir Ben Kingsley born as Krishna Bhanji is a legendary british actor like Willoughby Goddard. He plays historical persons like Mahatma Gandhi, Simon Wiesenthal and Wladimir Iljitsch Lenin||Themeable according to his great historical roles|
|Astro||Goddard is a fictional dog character in a cartoon series and so is Astro.|
|Bacon||Like Willoughby Goddard, Kevin Bacon is a legendary actor (although not British).||There's a Bacon Software and there's Jono Bacon, but we seem ok in terms of operating systems/Linux-related collisions.||Infinite possibilities. Bacon strips, cute little piggies in the background, a Canadian Bacon wallpaper for our users in that country. And other scientific stuff too, I suppose. Bonus: using "is a person to whom other people claim connection" as the connection - see Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon and the Erdos number - we could name F15 "Erdos," which gives us the option of linking out to tons of cool math stuff.|
|Marshall||Goddard is a space flight center and so is Marshall.||(a) Historical Western Films (b) Rebuilding (Marshall Plan)|
|Korolyov||Goddard is a space flight center and so is Korolyov.||Scientist, city...|
|Neutron||Goddard is the name of Jimmy Neutron's dog in a cartoon series. Jimmy Neutron was also a scientist in the series.||Lots of color scheme options with atoms, neutrons, protons, etc.|
|Baudelaire||Stuart Leslie Goddard is a famous artist with bipolar disorder. So was Charles Baudelaire.||I couldn't find anything related to software/IT/technology trademarks.||Baudelaire was an french writer/poet, so his work could probably inspire our artists. Only the name of his most famous work "Les fleurs du Mal" (meaning "The flowers of Evil") could provide some ideas...|
|Tsiolkovsky||Robert H. Goddard was an early rocketry pioneer and so was Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.||No easy collisions in software, IT, computers, technology||Plenty of theme opportunities in rockets and spaceflight|
|Vortex||Goddard is the name of a main character in Jimmy Neutron cartoon series, so is Cindy Vortex.||Lots of vortices themes options.|
|Shepherd||Robert H. Goddard was an American rocketry pioneer, Alan Shepherd was the first American in space.||Exploring more opportunities in space related themes.|
|Button||Goddard is a typo in the name of a famous film director. So is Button. |
|Katyusha||Goddard was a pioneer of controlled, liquid-fueled rocketry , and "Katyusha multiple rocket launchers" is a type of rocket artillery first built and fielded by the Soviet Union in World War II.||No collisions in IT, softwares, computers, technology||Themable according to its use in wars till today, so fedora will have: Power, Speed, Weapon...|
|Aberdeen||Goddard is a place in Maryland, as is Aberdeen.||Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD is a leader in United States Army research and development, so Army related themes would be appropriate.|
|Mitikas||Goddard is a peak  so is Mitikas.|
|Rubbia||Peter Goddard is a mathematical physicist and Carlo Rubbia  is a physicist who won a Nobel Prize in Physics for work leading to the discovery of the W and Z particles at CERN.||No collisions||It can be themeable according to physics, atoms, and maybe CERN|
|Neper||Goddard is a Moon crater in Mare Marginis  so is his nearest brother - Neper.||Neper project not updated for about year ||space, stars, galaxies, lunar modules, possibly black and white theme also view of earth from moon is amazing|
|Elizabeth||Robert H. Goddard is a famous person who lived in Worcester, Massachusetts, so is Elizabeth Bishop, a highly-regarded 20th century poet.||No collisions, only localized results pertaining to Elizabeth, New Jersey.||Elizabeth Bishop was poet laurete of the United States from 1949 - 1950; a noir theme reflecting the style of the era would work well (watch the film "LA Confidential"; also think about the color scheme of 1950s retro-noir ads you've seen).|
|Tudek||Goddard is an archaeological site  in North America where a 2nd century Norwegian coin was found. Tudek is also an archaeological site in North America.||No collisions found||Themed with artifacts, exploration, maps, compasses (Indiana Jones type stuff)|
|Fytnargin||Goddard is a mountain with elevation 4134m and so is Fytnargin in Russia||None found|
|Adam||Stuart Leslie Goddard uses the stage name Adam Ant.||theme around biblical Genesis story|
|Lakeland||Goddard is a fast growing city in Kansas and so is Lakeland in Florida , ||Swans are kind of a mascot for the city. Also, the Florida aspect could be included with Sunny skies or beaches.|
|Worcester||Robert Hutchings Goddard (October 5, 1882 – August 10, 1945), U.S. professor of physics and scientist, was a pioneer of controlled, liquid-fueled rocketry. Goddard was born in 1882 in Worcester, Massachusetts, Due to its location in Central Massachusetts, Worcester is often referred to as the "Heart of the Commonwealth".|
|Chaplin||Paulette Goddard was a silent film's actress also was Charles Chaplin||Actors, Silent films, 1920'|
|Laughlin||Robert Goddard was a professor of physics, and so is Robert Laughlin.. He was awarded the 1998 Nobel Prize in physics for his explanation of the fractional quantum Hall effect. Moreover he argues for emergence which is a concept that says "The whole is more than the sum of its parts". Fedora is more than a sum of softwares.||Laughlin is a town in Nevada (USA). John Mc Laughlin is a musician. Clarence John Laughlin was a photographer. Laughlin is also a memorial hosptial in Tennessee.||Something that can illustrate the emergence concept, like multiple objects combined to create a new one (more complex).|
Various connections that could be explored. "Goddard is a ..."
- a lunar crater
- a drinking vessel
- a major space science laboratory
- a French film director from the mid-20th century (note: it's Jean-Luc Godard, with one d)
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|