This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 15 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Goddard → Laughlin → <new name>? Laughlin is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Goddard and Laughlin was "both are names of professors of physics." The link between Laughlin and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: TBA
- List to Fedora Board: TBA
- Legal Review of Board approved names: TBA
- Community vote on final name: TBA
- Name announced: TBA
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Laughlin is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Goddard to Laughlin, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved !|
|Bardeen||John Bardeen is a Nobel prize laureate as Laughlin was||No collision found||It's one of the inventor of transistor. And he works on the superconductivity||Computer hardware, especially transistors. Superconductivity|
|Aleixandre||Vicente Aleixandre is a Nobel prize laureate as Laughlin was||Not brands nor companies: K12 public school in Madrid, a public college in Extremadura||Passion for nature, for brave people Ref|
|Allensworth||Allen Allensworth is from Tulare County and Laughlin was born there||Several companies, none on IT||Escape from slavery, self taught, and founder of first African American community; military hero|
|Asturias||Miguel Ángel Asturias is a Nobel laureate as Robert Laughlin (his mother was a teacher as Laughlin's too)||None as Asturias itself, just "tpvasturias"||Mayan culture; Outreach to underprivileged (founder of Popular University); "captivating totality of nature" Ref.|
|Roswell||City in New Mexico (Laughlin is a city in Nevada)||There are LOTS of things called "roswell", including a beta version of RHL from way back when.||Aliens!|
|Shockley||William Shockley is a Nobel laureate||Surprisingly, I found no collisions (eugenics? -Tezcatl)||Computer hardware, especially transistors.|
|Whittle||Frank Whittle invented the jet engine||None that I could see||Jets- wind, steam, air flow|
|Kannus||Kannus is a city in Finland||Torvalds's country|
|Wynn||Wynn is a casino entrepreneur as is Don Laughlin.||Wynn is the name of the company that runs the casino. I don't know if this counts as a collision or not - gregbair||Card suits, roulette wheels, slots, neon lights, etc. Wynn also sounds like "win." The Wynn casino itself is very technically advanced. Its the only Casino at this time that has RFID tags in every single game chip.|
|Souley||Souley is the name of our french friend from fedora-fr who died this year||To never forget him and for his memory !||He was an Ambassador of french team Fedora and i think it will be a beautiful continuation to laughlin|
|Maestro||Maestro, Italian word, appoint the Master, arrived with the more high degrees of his artistic practice.||Because i like this name and let my inspiration come||Adapted to this distribution i think|
|Phosphorus||Laughlin is a brain lighting, and so is the property of phosphorus.||IT maybe conflict with http://p15consulting.com/||Because it has atomic number 15. It is hard to find on Earth as a genius. It is found inside our DNA as the truth and genius.||Very flexible for design|
|Bechet||Sidney Bechet was an american clarinetist as Tim Laughlin is.||No IT related brands nor companies|| To the glory of a great jazzman. Furthermore, i'm sure he would have been a Fedora fan ;-)
Note : Fedora records is also a jazz label
|Music, jazz, good vibes|
|Woody||Laughlin is a Linux distribution and so is Woody||Just a cheeky suggestion|
|Malmstrom||Laughlin is an Airforce base and so is Malmstrom.||No IT or software related collisions that I could see.||There is a UFO conspiracy theory that surrounds the Malmstrom airforce base. Might lead to an Alien theme! (or even better, Alien themed Easter eggs!) Also, Malmstorm air force base, being a military facility, might cause a problem. (Hopefully, it won't.)||Aeroplanes, evolution of aeroplanes, etc.|
|Britannia||Laughlin is american, and America was a britain colony.||Brittania is the latin name of Great Britain.||Territories or antique design, etc.|
|Rexroth||James Laughlin is an american poet who was friends with Kenneth Rexroth, also an american poet||Bosch Rexroth is a German engineering firm that designs and manufactures motion and control systems for industrial and mobile equipment. E.g., pneumatics and hydraulics||Kenneth Rexroth was a poet, translator, and critic. He translated Chinese and Japanese poetry, experimented in Haiku and Beat poetry, wrote the article on literature in the Encyclopedia-Britannica, and generally explored wide-ranging interests in music and culture.||Rexroth is especially known for his love poetry, but really he had a lot of interests, so a theme could go in many different directions|
Various connections that could be explored. "Laughlin is a ..."
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|