This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 16 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Laughlin → Lovelock → <new name>? Lovelock is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Laughlin and Lovelock was "both are names of cities in Nevada, USA." The link between Laughlin and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: 3 March through 10 March
- List to Fedora Board: 11 March through 14 March
- Legal Review of Board approved names: 15 March through 22 March
- Community vote on final name: 23 March through 29 March
- Name announced: 30 March
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Laughlin is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Goddard to Laughlin, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|
|Noguera||Ray Lovelock is an actor and so is Hector Noguera||I didn't find any "Noguera Software" or so.||Hollywood, Movies, Paparazzi, trees (Noguera come from nogal "nut tree")|
|Barona||1/4 mile race track||no collisons|
|Jay||Lovelock is a Victory and so is Jay.||no collisons||"Jay" in Sanskrit means victory.|
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|