This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 16 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Laughlin → Lovelock → <new name>? Lovelock is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Laughlin and Lovelock was "both are names of cities in Nevada, USA." The link between Laughlin and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: 3 March through 10 March
- List to Fedora Board: 11 March through 14 March
- Legal Review of Board approved names: 15 March through 22 March
- Community vote on final name: 23 March through 29 March
- Name announced: 30 March
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Lovelock is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Laughlin to Lovelock, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|
|Noguera||Ray Lovelock is an actor and so is Hector Noguera||I didn't find any "Noguera Software" or so.||Hollywood, Movies, Paparazzi, trees (Noguera come from nogal "nut tree")|
|Barona||1/4 mile race track||no collisions|
|Jay||Lovelock is a Victory and so is Jay.||no collisions||"Jay" in Sanskrit means victory.|
|Bonnet||Lovelock is a theory of gravity and so is Gauss-Bonnet.|
|Sagan||Carl Sagan was an astronomer, writer and educator and shared an office with James Lovelock (also an astronamer) at one point, and whose first wife, Lynn Margulis, was intimately involved in the development of James Lovelock’s theories.||no collisons||Space, astronomy, extra terrestrial life|
|Rasputin||Lovelock is a rock band and so is Rasputin||Music, psychedelia, psychic|
|Ringworld||Lovelock is a science fiction novel, and so is Ringworld||There is a Ringworld computer game, no other collisions. There were two trademarks, but they were both cancelled, cf Tess||Rings, SciFi|
|Lightbody||Jack Lovelock is a 1500 m Olympic Champion, and so is Jim Lightbody||There is a Lightbody & Bird Ltd in computer development (no web page), no other collisions, no Tess trademark||Light (radiation, weight)|
|McLuhan||James Lovelock is a futurist, and so was Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980)||None immediately found||McLuhan coined the term 'the global village' and celebrates his centennial this year|
|Talladega||Lovelock is a speedway, and so is Talladega||None immediately found (though a lot of, um, collisions with Daytona were found.)||Denotes speed, grabs attention of NASCAR fans; Talladega is NASCAR's "other" superspeedway|
|Beefy Miracle||See proof of connection here. In short: “Lovelock” is a string, that when a function is applied to it, results in an output of 5, and so is “Beefy Miracle”||no collisions||Isn't the link a bit too generic?||Hell yes|
|Neuromancer||Lovelock is a Scifi book and so is Neuromancer||no collisions I checked with Tess||SciFi|
|Dreadlock||Lovelock is a hairstyle (popular in 17th century), and so are Dreadlocks||no collisons||definately ... Bob Marley, anyone?|
|Llullaillaco||Lovelock is a place where mummies were found and so is Llullaillaco||no collisons||It's a super tall volcano, plus mummies are cool!|
|bacon||Lovelock is a place where mummies were found and mummies love bacon||delicious collisons||delicious theme possibilities|
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|