Name suggestions for Fedora 18
This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 18 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Verne → Beefy Miracle → <new name>? Beefy Miracle is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Verne and Beefy Miracle was "both names were suggested as the name of Fedora 16." The link between Beefy Miracle and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: 20 March through 27 March (23:59:59 UTC)
- List to Fedora Board: 27 March through 30 March
- Legal Review of Board approved names: 30 March through 05 April
- Setup of Voting Application: 05 April
- Community vote on final name: 06 April through 12 April (23:59:59 UTC)
- Name announced: 13 April
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Beefy Miracle is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Verne to Beefy Miracle, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved !|
|Tandoori Chicken||Beefy Miracle goes great with a drink and so does Tandoori Chicken||Tested|
|Dachshund||Beefy miracle is likened to a hotdog and is a Dachshund||Untested|
|Juicy Bacon||Beefy miracle is a hilarious name and everyone likes to eat some - same for Juicy Bacon||Untested|
|Gama||Beefy Miracle suggests brawn, muscular, robust and powerful and so was Pahelwan Gama||Untested|
|Ultra Vegan||Beefy Miracle is related to food, so is Ultra Vegan||Untested||http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/video-the-simpsons-go-to-whole-foods-wellness-foods.html|
|Pamukkale||Beefy Miracle is miracle so is Pamukkale||Tested||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamukkale|
|Frozen Wave||Beefy Miracle is miracle so is Frozen Wave||Tested||http://www.artinnaturephotography.com/photo.php?id=182|
|Magic Dragon||Beefy Miracle is miracle so is Magic Dragon||untested||yes|
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|