This page contains community suggestions for the Fedora 19 release name. All submissions must meet the guidelines for release names.
Beefy Miracle → Spherical Cow → <new name>? Spherical Cow is a <blank>, and so is <new name>.
The link between Beefy Miracle and Spherical Cow was "A beefy miracle is something that has never been observed and so is a spherical cow." The link between Spherical Cow and the new name must be different than that link, and different from any other previous link.
- Name collection: October 9 through October 16 (23:59:59 UTC)
- List to Fedora Board for review: October 17 - Oct. 24
- Legal Review of Board approved names: October 25 through October 31
- Setup of Voting Application: November 1 (whenever the legal finishes the audit)
- Community vote on final name: November 2 through November 8 (23:59:59 UTC)
- Name announced: November 9
How to use this table
- Come up with a name idea. Put the name in the first column.
- Determine whether it passes the "is-a" test. You must be able to truthfully complete the sentence "Spherical Cow is a <...>, and so is <YOUR_NAME>." The link to the new name cannot be the same as the link from Beefy Miracle to Spherical Cow, nor any other previous link. Mark the link in the appropriate column, such as "type of chemical reaction," "deep-sea organism."
- Don't choose obvious links, because they usually result in uninteresting names.
- Don't choose very general names or unclear links.
- Don't choose names of living people, or well-known trademarks.
- Do choose obscure links to interesting things, which makes for a better name.
- Do avoid all previous links wherever possible.
- Do make sure there are at least a couple of ways to link out of the new name to the next name -- and they must be unique too!
- Use Google to search for possible trademark collisions. First search for the term itself along with "+software", and then broaden your search to include "+computer", "+hardware", "+technology", "+IT", and so on. Do not skimp on this step.
- If you find a collision, it is best to find another name. Names that cause collisions will be eliminated by Red Hat's Legal department and thus waste their time, which is a valuable commodity for Fedora. Help us maximize their effectiveness by weeding out names that are trademarks of other entities, especially those in the IT industry.
- If the collision is outside the IT/computing market, you can still submit the name but you should note the collision in the "Tested" column, and include a link to the site where the collision was found.
- If you find no collisions, make that notation in the "Tested" column.
- Do not mark the approval columns. These are reserved for the approval authorities such as the Board and Red Hat Legal.
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comments||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved !|
|A Spherical Cow is not a decent release name, and so is "", because it's not a name at all||No collisions in a null set||Release names are annoying and create extra work, and recently caused the project to appear silly and unprofessional||Anything Generic|
|Parabolic Potassium||A Spherical Cow is shaped nutrition item, and so is Parabolic Potassium||Potassium is an element on the Periodic Table, and is not trademarked -- Free to use! It has an atomic number of 19 so it matches perfectly with Fedora 19||We could use this time to transition into using the Periodic Table of Elements for future Fedora releases (F20 could be Calcium and further). This has been discussed on the Advisory Board list in the past but no official decision made yet. Offering as a suggestion to make the transition||No; If you disagree please suggest a visual theme.|
|Spintronic Prism||A Spherical Cow is a 3-D object and so is any spintronics in prism form||http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/indepth/2008/jan/03/the-spintronics-challenge||No; I couldn't find an image of this. If you disagree, please suggest a visual theme.|
|Solar Wind||A Spherical Cow is a gas filled mass which would achieve a very high kinetic energy by farting and a Solar Wind is a stream of charged particles with a very high kinetic energy created when the sun farts||This is trademarked as Network Monitoring software: http://www.solarwinds.com/||Yes, see this article with imagery.|
|Schrödinger's cat||Is a theoretical thought experiment||No. This would only make for particularly unpleasant visual themes; I don't think Fedorans like dead kitties.|
|Maxwell's demon||is a theoretical thought experiment|
|Crop Circle||Is a mysterious round thing found on a farm||quite|
|Welkin||Is an English term referring to the Celesital Sphere||I think so|
|Prime Rib||A Spherical Cow is a well-prepared work of meat & muscle, and so is Prime Rib. (19 is also a prime number.)||None found|
|Elastic Horses||Spherical Cow is a good solution for farmers, and so is elastic horses moving in vacuum.||None found|
|Conical Frustum||A Spherical Cow is a 3D geometric object that is butchered. So is a Conical Frustum.||None found||Also considered saying they're both "sliced."||Fo sho|
|Boiling Frog||Spherical Cow is an animal in a non-natural situation. So is a boiling frog.||None found||Yes. But... do we want to?|
|Happy Dragon||Spherical Cow is a parade balloon animal. So is Happy Dragon.||Only Chinese restaurants found. :)||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macy's_Thanksgiving_Day_Parade (see 1960)||Sure!|
|Field of Dreams||Spherical Cows are balls on a farm. Field of Dreams is for playing with baseballs on a farm||It's a movie, it has nothing to do with the computer industry||Easily|
|Yin Yang||Spherical Cow is used as metaphor. Yin and Yang are used as metaphor to indicate harmony and interdependence.||Some screensavers, backgrounds, icons|
|Somatotropin||is an (insane) way of maximizing the meat volume.||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin|
|Armstrong||The (Spherical) Cow jumped over the moon, as did Neil Armstrong.||Small regional IT shops in places called Armstrong. Sounds like Ångström, and there's this script.||No longer (sadly) a living person, so it clears that hurdle. Maybe a nice tribute.||You betcha.|
|Taylor||A spherical cow is an approximation, and so is a Taylor series.||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series||Anything math-looking|
|Hadron||A spherical cow is a composite particle, and so is a hadron.||Sure|
|Newton||A spherical cow is an approximation, and so is Newton's method.||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_method||Math-y/physics-y/fruity things|
|Halley||A spherical cow is an approximation, and so is Halley's method.||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halley%27s_method||Math-y things, comets|
|Feduped anaconda||Connection is obvious: Anaconda newUI was planned as a Fedora 17 feature, but it has been delayed and now is landing in Fedora 18. In Fedora 19 it should be stable enough and way better than old one. So, let's celebrate this great revolution! More conservative explanation: It's an animal like a cow.||Use your imagination.|
|Christmassy Halloween||spherical cow is a geek joke, and so is Christmassy Halloween||Christmas, Halloween|
|Any Key||spherical cow is a geek joke, and so is Any Key||, Keyboards?|
|Fermi||Spherical Cow is an approximation, so is a Fermi problem||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem||probably|
|Flat Hippo||Spherical Cow is a strangely shaped animal, and so is Flat Hippo.||None found||Anything with hippos|
|Sombrero Galaxy||Spherical Cow is a container of stars, and so is Sombrero Galaxy.||Only Mexican restaurants ;)||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sombrero_Galaxy||Easy|
|Gabelstaplerfahrer||A German word for Forklift driver. Spherical Cow is a long and awkward name, and so is Gabelstaplerfahrer.||http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa0vnEoedk4||Easy|
|Torricelli||is supposed to have horns||In fact, "Torricelli's trumpet" is also called "Gabriel's horn", but Gabriel is a trademark. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel%27s_Horn.||Yes: geometry related|
|Pasteur||Spherical Cow is a cow that provides milk sterilized, and so is Pasteur|
|Nuclear Fusion||Spherical Cow is a scientific model, and so is nuclear fusion.||http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion||Yes|
|arodef taerg||Spherical Cow is a great joke, and so is arodef taerg. it's funny too, it's 'fedora [the] great' in backwards ;-) it's funny, isn't?!||None found|
|Robust Rutherford||Spherical Cow is a funny reference to physics and so imagine a grumpy (robust) faced Rutherford.||Rutherford is a person and unfortunately he's dead, but his name is not a trademark. And the adjetive "robust" is a great wink for the audience and for us the users||Like Rutherford is a scientist you (or we, the community) can use different names of different scientists of different science.||Yes, science related (just like Spherical Cow)|
|Flagship||Spherical Cow is a metaphor, and so is Flagship||Yes|
|Mindstream||Spherical Cow is a metaphor, and so is Mindstream||Not sure|
|Nutshell||Spherical Cow is a metaphor, and so is Nutshell||Trees, nuts|
Approval Mark Legend
|Name||"Is a..."||Tested||Initial Approval||Comment||Themeable||Board Approved||Legal Approved|