No edit summary
|Line 247:||Line 247:|
Some of these tools include:
Some of these tools include:
* Why / Caduceus / Krakatoa
* Why / Caduceus / Krakatoa
Revision as of 18:10, 11 February 2009
Refer to the list or unmaintained and orphaned packages . This would be a good place to bring back into Fedora repositories packages where the original maintainer has moved on.
General Fedora Packages WishList
As a current contributor, if you know of projects that would be appropriate in Fedora package collection but are unable to maintain yourself just drop them with a line here. This list can be used to give other contributors ideas on what to package next. Please be aware however that the number of high quality, well maintained packages that Fedora repository provides scales with the number of active contributors. It is just as important to encourage new contributors as it is to desire new packages. If you are not yet a contributor to the Fedora packaging process, please look over this list and see if there are any projects you would be willing to maintain for the Fedora community.
If are interested in contributing to Fedora package collection, take a look at PackageMaintainers
- ACE - An OO network programming toolkit in C++ (Review Request)
- Alfresco Enterprise content management system
- Apertium Toolbox to build shallow-transfer machine translation systems(contact #apertium channel in freenode network).
- APF (Advanced Policy Firewall) - iptables(netfilter) based firewall system
- Asterisk GUI GUI for managing Asterisk servers.
- Axiom - general purpose system for symbolic calculations.
- bibtex2html - BibTeX to HTML translator srpm here
- Blogbridge - Blog and rss reader (in Java)
- bltk - Battery Life Tool Kit is a set of scripts and programs to monitor and log power consumption of Linux laptops/notebooks under different workloads (HuzaifaSidhpurwala is working on it)
- Bongo - Bongo is an easy-to-use mail and calendar system. Fork of Hula. (Review Request (Dropped))
- BrOffice.org - BrOffice.org is the official brazilian release of OpenOffice.org .
- Blueman - BlueMan is an easy to use feature rich Bluetooth Manager for Linux. It allow user to connect gprs internet connection from Mobile Phones with ease.
- CcHost - Creative Commons CMS that powers ccMixter
- chesnut-dialer A feature-rich Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) dialer written in Python (Review Request )
- cmotech-tools Tools for using C-motech hardware with Linux (wireless broadband)
- CSpace - Secure, decentralized Peer-to-Peer instant messaging (Review request (dropped) )
- clonezilla - opensource clone system
- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi driver - the driver for popular series of sound cards by Creative. It was recently released under GPLv2 licence, needs to go to Rawhide first.
- CuteCom. CuteCom is a graphical serial terminal, particularly useful for hardware developers who need to transfer binary data over serial ports.
- DansGuardian - Web content filter solution (not a free-enough software -  ??)
- Diffuse - graphical tool for merging and comparing text files. Review request
- dimdim - open source web meeting product with features like Application, Desktop and Presentation sharing with A/V streaming and chat
- djbdns - a simple and security-aware DNS implementation created by Daniel J. Bernstein due to his frustrations with repeated BIND security holes.
- e17-svn - Enlightenment window manager DR17 from the new svn repository
- Ecomorph - OpenGL compositing manager that runs all the compiz plugins
electric sheep - Best open source evolving screensaver in existence.Cannot include in Fedora, has built in MPEG decoder
- Enigmail - OpenPGP/GnuPG extension for Mozilla Thunderbird and Seamonkey
- Entertainer Is a clutter based media center
- Enthought framework - python framework for building scientific data visualization applications
- Evergreen ILS - open source Integrated Library System (ILS)
- fntsample - A program for making font samples that show Unicode coverage of the font and are similar in appearance to Unicode charts.
- fondu - A set of programs to interconvert between mac font formats and pfb, ttf, otf and bdf files on unix.
- FreeMind - Free mind-mapping software. JPackage SRPM available: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7118&package_id=161830&release_id=574721 .
jcalendar only required dependency we don't yet havejcalendar now available on Fedora.
- gcvs - Graphical frontend to cvs (Last release 2003 -- though other clones WinCVS & MacCVS where released more recently)
- GEONExT - dynamic mathematics software for teaching and learning mathematics. Written in Java, licensed under GPLv2. Source code can be obtained at firstname.lastname@example.org
- GeoGebra - free and multi-platform dynamic mathematics software for schools that joins geometry, algebra and calculus. Program released under GPL, documentation under some CC non commercial license so we can't ship the documentation.
- gestikk - Mouse Gesture Recognition
- g15tools - linux support to the g15 keyboard
- GForge - GForge is a software for collaborative development for the software community (Review Request)
- gitosis - Manage
repositories, provide access to them over SSH, with tight access control and not needing shell accounts. Currently only lives in developers git repository, thus no project website (yet?).
- GimpShop - GimpShop is a fork of gimp for more compatibility with a commercial image editing program.
- Giver - File sharing program (, uses gnome-sharp) ((Review Request)
- gksu & gksudo Sudo (superuser do) allows a system administrator to give certain users (or groups of users) the ability to run some (or all) commands as root or another user while logging the commands and arguments. Review Request (libgksu) & Review Request (gksu & gksudo)
- glParchis -- Parcheesi
- Gnu Linux Semantics Storage System - A storage solution that distances you from thinking about Where you store your data to What your data is.
- Gnome Menu Extended . Show KDE menu in GNOME. Complimentary to kmenu-gnome. (Review Request)
- GNS3 - GNS3 is a graphical network simulator that allows you to design complex network topologies and to launch simulations on them.
- GNU Bayonne 1 and 2 - Telephony servers
- GPRS Easy Connect - GUI for GPRS connecting and supports 704 phones and 269 providers (2008-07-28 The project is closed).
- gozer - gozer is a commandline text rendering utility for creating images from abitrary text in antialised truetype fonts using optional fontstyles, wordwrapping and layout control.
- gwaterfall - This program facilitates comparison of various font and font rendering parameters.
-  gPXE - x86 Option ROM creator with great features.
- Gnusound - audio editor. (Includes MP3 encode/decode cannot package on Fedora)
- guppy is an application to download videos from the Topfield TF5000PVRt.
- Gwyddion Free SPM (AFM, SNOM/NSOM, STM, MFM, …) data analysis software
- hardware4linux.info is Debian's official hardware profiler. Functional .rpm packages for Fedora already exist (.src and binary), but this should be better integrated with smolt (please see Fedora bug #433105)
- http_replicator a smart caching proxy ideal for use with apt/yum
- Hyperic HQ - an advanced system and application management platform
- icon - Icon programming language srpm here
- iFolder - requires simias (Review Request )
- IMDbPy - do IMDB searches in Python, RPM package available in the downloads. (Review Request)
- InstallJammer - InstallJammer is a multiplatform GUI installer designed to be completely cross-platform
- ipplan - ipplan is a web-based application for managing IP address allocations
- IP sets - programs and kernel modules used to set up, maintain and inspect so called IP sets in the Linux kernel. Useful in advanced firewall setup. (libipt_set.so is already included in current iptables package)
- iTask-NG - A taskbar and app-launcher dock based on engage, which makes use of composite, but can also be used without.
- jailkit - chroot jail utilities (Review Request)
- JBoss.org - The Red Hat sponsored, community project, middleware solution
- Jing - Jing is James Clarks' RELAX-NG XML schema validator. Example RPMs at authors site, works with gcj.
- JOSM - JOSM is the "Java Open Street Map Editor"
- JPEG2PDF - Creates a PDF out of a directory of JPEG/JPG-images. Very fast and stable; should be easy to package.
- KBasic - full-featured IDE based on Basic laguage with support of VB and VB.NET syntax, requires Qt 4.4 and later. License: GPLv3. Also please remove the annoying license notifier from the program start. Direct link to the source: .
- kbfx - kbfx is an alternative to the classical K-Menu button and it's menu.
- kBuild - Build Enviroment, needed for VirtualBox Review request
- KForge - For managing software and knowledge projects.
- KLogic - KLogic is an application for building and simulating digital circuits easily
- KMyFirewall - an IPTables based firewall configuration tool
- Knowledge Tree - Community edition: a PHP based GPL V3 Content Managements System
- l7-filter - L7-filter is a classifier for Linux's Netfilter that identifies packets based on application layer data.
- KPrayertime - Islamic Prayer Times Applet
- LaTeX2rtf - Translator program to translate a LaTeX document into the RTF format Review request
- lcdf-typetools - Tools for manipulating OpenType and PostScript fonts Review request
- Liaison - Liaison is a software tool combining some well known open source software tools like MoinMoin, Subversion and Bugzilla to help software developers to collaborate.
- libmspack - A library for Microsoft compression formats. If this library is accepted cabextract should link against it.
- libpam-poldi PAM module allowing authentication using a OpenPGP smartcard. This PAM module will allow you to login, screenlock and validate to services using your GnuPG smartcard. (sorry for cross-distro reference but i googled for so long without finding any other good source.)
- liferay - An open source Java based portal application.
- livebackup - LiveBackup is a framework to create live-cd's from installed Linux systems
- lives - Video Editing System. It is designed to be simple to use, yet powerful (foreign f9 package exists on SourceForge)
- Magento - Magento is a new professional open-source eCommerce solution offering unprecedented flexibility and control.
- MapGuide - web-based platform for developing and deployment web mapping applications and geospatial web services.
- mb2md - Perl script for converting Unix mailboxes to Maildir format
- mdp-toolkit - Modular toolkit for Data Processing (MDP) is a Python data processing framework.
- Mercurial Eclipse - hg Eclipse plugin
Mesk - A PyGtk+ audio playerCannot include in Fedora, has built in MPEG decoder
- mined Unicode text editor
- mixmaster Anonymous remailer client and server
- Mondo Rescue inclusion - Review Request
- Misfitmodel3d - Misfit Model 3D is an OpenGL-based 3D model editor that works with triangle-based models - Review Request
- mpd mpc is available, just mpd is missing. NOTE : mpd can't be included as-is in Fedora, because it needs libmad (the MP3 decoding library). The tarball even contains a copy of the libmad code.
- mumble - a VoIP application, primary used by gamers
- mtasc - ActionScript 2 compiler generating flash srpm here
- MoBlock - A Peerguardian compatible connection blocker
- Monsoon - A MonoTorrent based GTK# BitTorrent client
- NagiosGrapher - Nagios Stats graphing.
- NAT-PT - Network Address Translation, Protocol Translation IPv4/IPv6 - allows IPv6-only networks to connect to IPv4-only networks (based on RFC 2766)
- ncbi - NCBI libraries and tools for biology applications srpm here
- nss_updatedb - Maintains a local cache of network directory user and group information.
- noteedit - Free music score editor. NOTE: seems to be dead - last version in 2006. Also requires TSE3 which also has been dead for some years.
- nvram-wakeup - Reads and writes the wakeup time in the BIOS
- OnTV - A TV scheduler using XMLTV backends
- OpenGroupware - Groupware software
- openlp.org - Display words for songs, for use in churches
- OpenOffice Presentation Minimizer - reduces the size of ooimpress documents, requires java
- OpenProj - A desktop replacement of Microsoft Project
- OpenWSMan - Web Services Management specification (WS-Management)
- oprofileui - An excellent GTK GUI for the oprofile system profiler
- otcomp - OpenType layout compiler, needed to build some FLOSS fonts
- PAIDA - PAIDA is pure Python scientific analysis package
- Pastebinit - A tool to "pastebin" text on several paste websites. Really useful in chat (but not only chat) help. I strongly reccommend that all the distro would use this and configure it to use the bin of choice. fpaste in this case. Beside i think is useless to make different packages (which are just scripts really) for such a simple thing when there could be one customizable for every choice.
paint-mono - An unofficial effort to port Paint.NET 3.0 to Linux using Mono- Cannot be included since Paint is partly licensed under a non-commercial license
- perl-CDDB_get - Read the CDDB entry for an audio CD in your drive srpm here
- Phoronix Test Suite - A comprehensive test/benchmarks suite from Phoronix. IMHO THE Suite.
- php-pecl-syck, php-pecl-syck php-pecl-syck
- Pidgin-musictracker - Musictracker is a plugin for Pidgin which displays the media currently playing in the status message for any protocol Pidgin supports custom statuses on.
- pidgin-sipe - Pidgin plugin to provide SIP/SIMPLE protocol support for Microsoft Live Communications Server (LCS)/Office Communications Server (OCS) 2003/2005/2007
- PKCS #11 engine , PKCS #11 library OpenSC addons
- pligg is a digg like CMS that uses PHP and MySQL.
- pmtools Tools for examining kernel ACPI tables
- pngnq is a tool for quantizing PNG images in RGBA format.
- PPTP-Config - PPTP - config program part of the pptp. Already has FC6 packages.
- prescript - Utility for extracting text from PostScript files srpm here
- Prettify Automake - pretty automake output
- PyPE PyPE (Python Programmers' Editor) is an editor written in Python with the wxPython GUI toolkit.
- python-dap - Data Access Protocol (OPeNDAP) implementation in python srpm here
- PyTraffic - A free implementation of the Rush Hour puzzle.
- python-egenix-mxdatetime - date and time handling routines for Python
- QuickSoundFontManager - A gui for (a)sfxload / fluidsync to quick load several SF2 soundfonts in a EMU10k chip
- Remuco - a Remote control server, for mobile phones, similar to Bemused and Salling Clicker
- ROOT - Popular high-energy physics data analysis framework (Review Request)
- rox-filer - Rox file manager srpm here
- Shutter - Shutter is a feature-rich screenshot program. You can take a screenshot of a specific area, window, your whole screen, or even of a website - apply different effects to it, draw on it to highlight points, and then upload to an image hosting site, all within one window.
- Songbird - Media Player/Browser (Depends pretty heavily on mp3, flash support, ogg support appears broken, other than that some media player and browser functionality exists) (Review Request)
- spacenav - The spacenav project provides a free, compatible alternative, to the proprietary 3Dconnexion device driver and SDK, for their 3D input devices
- speechd - Device-independent speech synthesis layer (perhaps useful for OLPC?)
- speedcontrol - Small utility to limit DVD drive speed, since most DVD readers sound like lawn mowers at full speed which ruins movie playing experience
- spindown - a daemon that can spindown idle disks and so saving energy and giving the disks a longer lifetime.
- SQuirreL SQL - Graphical Java program that will allow you to view the structure of a JDBC compliant database, browse the data in tables, issue SQL commands
- stardict-fr-academy-1935 - 8th edition of the French Academy dictionnary, in stardict format (1935)
- Stet - is a free software package for gathering comments about a text document via a webpage
- strongSwan - ipsec implementation with major support of IKEv2
- Stylus Toolbox - A graphical frontend for managing the functions of Epson Ink Jet printers - including checking ink levels and print head cleaning/alignment.
- Suhosin - An advanced protection system for PHP installations.
- swfmill - xml2swf and swf2xml processor with import functionalities srpm here
- synfig - Film quality 2D vector animation now under GPL (Review Request)
- system-config-control Central control panel for system-config-* tools.
-  THDL input methods for Tibetan, Dzongkha, Lhadaki
- Tkabber - Free and Open Source client for the Jabber instant messaging system writen in Tcl/Tk. (Review Request)
- TPTP - Eclipse Test & Performance Tools Platform
- Trang - Trang is James Clark's multi-format schema converter based on RELAX-NG. Example RPMs available at authors site and has been checked with gcj.
- TrueCrypt - Free open-source disk encryption software for Linux. Version 5 now includes a WxWidgets Gui and uses Fuse instead of kernel modules for the filesystem parts. Thus, inclusion to Fedora should be possible. Requires some fixing in Main/Main.make to build against Fedora's WxWidgets.
- TuxShop point of sale and retail management application.
- Unicode Character Database Unicode.org UNIDATA files are used by many packages (perl, gucharmap, etc) in private-copy mode. A common package would be cleaner technically and legally.
- unoconv - Tool to convert between any document format supported by OpenOffice srpm here
- Vagalume - A Last.fm client for Gnome and Maemo. Review Request (failed) (available from Livna)
- Vidalia - A Qt-GUI for the TOR-Client. Useful for anonymous work in internet.
- Vigor - XMMS plugin that acts like Clippy. Fun!
- VirtualBox - Free Virtual Machine suite from InnoTek ( Collaboration webpage )
- Visual Python - a Python module that offers real-time 3D output, and is easily usable by novice programmers
- Wine-doors - an application designed to make installing windows software on Linux (Review Request (dropped))
- Webmin (web-front end to shorewall) - Review Request (dropped) (NB: Webmin had a rather doubtful security record in the past -- NilsPhilippsen)
- WideStudio an open source, Integrated Development Environment for desktop applications
- Wikidot an open source wiki server/wiki farm.
- xcalc - Simple X11 calculator srpm here
- xdm-xsessions - Xdm session related utilities srpm here
- xjparse - an XML/XSD validator -Review Request
- xmlittre - Authoritative 19th century French dictionnary, in stardict format
- XPad - Sticky note app - Review request (dropped) Review request (new in progress)
- yum-grouppackagetype - A plugin for yum to specify which package types within a package group should be installed when using yum groupinstall (useful for web walkthroughs)
- zenoss - Open Source Monitoring Tool
- zpb-ttf - ZPB-TTF is a TrueType file parser that provides an interface for reading typographic metrics, glyph outlines, and other information.
- Rasmol - RasMol is a computer program written for molecular graphics visualization intended and used primarily for the depiction and exploration of biological macromolecule structures, such as those found in the Protein Data Bank.
- XMIND - EPL/LGPL Licensed MindMap Software.
Fedora Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) WishList
Fedora Font Packages WishList
The Fedora font wishlist is hosted there.
Fedora Perl Packages Wishlist
Edit at Perl Wishlist.
Catalyst::Model::Adaptor - Use a plain class as a Catalyst model @ RHBZ #742538 Catalyst::Authentication::Credential::HTTP - HTTP Basic and Digest authentication for Catalyst @ RHBZ #742549 Catalyst::Plugin::Session::Store::DBIC - Store your sessions via DBIx::Class @ RHBZ #742555 CatalystX::Profile - Profile your Catalyst application with Devel::NYTProf @ RHBZ #742557 CatalystX::REPL - Read::eval::print::loop for debugging your Catalyst application @ RHBZ #742559 CatalystX::SimpleLogin - Provide a simple Login controller which can be reused @ RHBZ #742560 Catalyst::ActionRole::ACL - User role::based authorization action class @ RHBZ #742542 HTML::FormHandler - HTML forms using Moose @ RHBZ #742543 MooseX::RelatedClassRoles - Apply roles to a class related to yours @ RHBZ #742545 CatalystX::InjectComponent - Inject components into your Catalyst application @ RHBZ #742552
Task::Moose -- Moose extensions thought of as "standard."
- Task::Kensho - "A Glimpse at an Enlightened Perl"
Task::Kensho::Exceptions RHBZ #822881 Task::Kensho::OOP RHBZ #822878 Task::Kensho::Testing RHBZ #689477 Task::Kensho::Toolchain RHBZ #689797 Task::Kensho::Logging RHBZ #844670 Task::Kensho::Async RHBZ #1415662 Task::Kensho::XML RHBZ #1416492
- Task::Kensho::WebDev - not packaged - CGI::FormBuilder::Source::Perl
Task::Kensho::WebCrawling RHBZ #1428820
perl5i Perl5i @ RHBZ #998496+ dependancies: autobox::Core @ RHBZ #730031 autobox::dump @ RHBZ #730033 autobox::List::Util @ RHBZ #730034 autovivification @ RHBZ #730037 Child @ RHBZ #730038 DateTime::Format::Epoch @ RHBZ #730043 DateTime::TimeZone::Tzfile @ RHBZ #751809 indirect @ RHBZ #730069 Modern::Perl @ RHBZ #722653 Object::ID @ RHBZ #998235 Perl6::Caller @ RHBZ #998434 Taint::Util @ RHBZ #998447 true @ RHBZ #998465
- Bricolage - Content Management System (CPAN: Bundle::Bricolage)
- Alzabo - Data modelling tool (CPAN: Alzabo) - The web page does exist anymore, the distribution on the CPAN is abandoned.
Encode::HanExtra - Extra encodings for Encode (for w3c-markup-validator) @ RHBZ #759758 Encode::JIS2K - Extra encodings for Encode (for w3c-markup-validator) @ RHBZ #759760
- IMC - Idealx Management Console - upstream vanished.
- All dependencies should already be in Fedora.
- StevenPritchard has put some work into this already.
PlRPC - A bundle to install PlRPC-Server, Client and prerequisites. NetPacket::SpanningTree - Assemble and disassemble IEEE 802.3 LLC protocol packets. @ RHBZ #573917 Inline::Python - Place python code inline with perl, or use python classes/functions within perl @ RHBZ #1234791 App::Rad - Rapid (and easy!) creation of command line applications @ RHBZ #1415201
- Net::Sharktools - Use Wireshark's packet dissection engine from Perl (draft specfile); doesn't work with Wireshark 1.6; works with Wireshark 1.4
Method::Signatures - To make subroutine calls easier to read RHBZ #832810 MCE - Many-core Engine for Perl providing parallel processing capabilities RHBZ #1162531 ZeroMQ - Perl wrapper of the 0MQ message passing library. @ RHBZ #747674 Dist-Zilla-Plugins-CJM - Additional useful Dist::Zilla plugins @ RHBZ #1416158 Data-Dump-Color - We already package Data::Dump, this is even better. RHBZ #1140223
- ALSA-MIDI - the ALSA library, plus some interface functions
- Bio::SCF dependency of already packaged perl-Bio-Graphics
Fedora Games Packages WishList
If you want to add games to the list do so on the Fedora Games SIG WishList .
Fedora Astronomy Packages WishList
If you want to add astronomy related packages to the list do so on the Fedora Astronomy SIG WishList .
Web Hosting Control Panels
Analysis of Free software web hosting control panels available for packaging in Fedora.
Edit at SIGs/SciTech/BioinformaticsWishList .
- Autodock Vina - Tool for drug discovery, molecular docking and virtual screening. There's a package under http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/loveshack/livhpc/
COPASI - Simulation and analysis of biochemical networks and their dynamics, supports SBML standard for modelsSee COPASI
- Cytoscape - Platform for the analysis and visualization of complex networks, in particular molecular interaction networks and biological pathways
- GENtle - DNA restriction analysis and cloning tool similar to VectorNTI
- Integrative Genomics Viewer - java-based graphical genomics viewer (licensed under GPLv2)
- MIRA - Genome fragment assembler for sequencing projects classified as 'hard' due to high number of similar repeats. Uses non-free jlfgr -- see Debian packaging.
- NCBI BLAST and other tools - The Basic Local Alignment Search Tool (BLAST) finds regions of local similarity between sequences.
- ncbi-blast+ packaged by jkaluza - https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=999383
- NCBI C Toolkit - NCBI libraries and tools for biology applications srpm here
- NCBI C++ Toolkit - a new generation of NCBI libraries and tools for biology
- pyQPCR - qPCR analysis tool
- Staden - sequence handling and analysis software developed at the Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
- Taverna - Tool for automation of experimental workflows.
- The WFDB Software Package - Software for viewing, analyzing, and creating recordings of physiologic signals
Formal Methods WishList
The paper "High Assurance (for Security or Safety) and Free-Libre / Open Source Software (FLOSS)... with Lots on Formal Methods" by David A. Wheeler lists lots of tools that can help develop "high assurance" software, particularly "formal methods" tools. Wheeler is working with several people to package some of these for Fedora, but the more the merrier!
Some of these tools include:
- Why / Caduceus / Krakatoa
- Alloy (from MIT)
- BLAST, at http://mtc.epfl.ch/software-tools/blast/ (don't use the obsolete version at Berkeley)
- HOL 4
- HOL Lite
- fuzz (the type checker for Z, not the random-input fuzzer; this may need a new name)
Additional CAS tools, like Axiom, Yacas, and SAGE would be helpful too.
See the Wheeler paper (above) for project URLs, license info, what they do, etc.
This list is now being maintained at OLPC/Packages_for_F11.
How to add a package
If you're not already a Fedora maintainer, but interested in creating a package on this wish list, see PackageMaintainers/Join for the general process, and PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo for the nuts-and-bolts of how to create a package. Packaging/Guidelines describes the guidelines Fedora packages must follow.
The special interest groups may provide additional guidelines and help for processing the packages posted on their wishlist.