KDE upstream defaults to Desktops effects enabled by default for several releases. With the current development of graphics drivers in Fedora, we believe it's time to enable it by default and follow upstream decision.
Use a KDE 4-based live image, or an installed system with the KDE 4 desktop available. Working graphics drivers with acceleration (nouveau, radeon, intel or llvmpipe).
How to test
- Login to KDE Plasma Desktop
- Check if OpenGL rendering is used (System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> Advanced -> Compositing Type)
- Try different effects (especially Blur and Wobbly Windows) (System Settings -> Desktop Effects -> All Effects -> Blur, Wobbly Windows checkboxes)
- Desktop starts with Desktop effects enabled, no crash occurs, no performance problems observed, no visible artefacts
- It should always use OpenGL rendering.
If you encounter any performance problems or glitches, please attach the output of glxinfo command. For glitches also screenshot.