Unlike KDM, GDM outsources services such as shutdown, restart and parts of session switching to a lower-level component. Until and including Fedora 16, that component was ConsoleKit. Starting from Fedora 17, it is systemd. Support for systemd in kde-workspace was developed in Fedora and needs testing.
A system which uses GDM as its display manager. Ensure that the
gdm package is installed and that
/etc/sysconfig/desktop, if it exists, does not contain a line starting with
DISPLAYMANAGER=, then reboot. Testing from a KDE live image is difficult, you may have more luck starting from the Desktop (GNOME) live CD and installing the KDE Plasma Desktop Workspace on it (
yum groupinstall kde-desktop).
How to test
- Boot to GDM.
- If autologin to GNOME is enabled, start by logging out of GNOME.
- Log into KDE Plasma Desktop. (GDM allows selecting the session type after you enter the user name, on the password prompt screen.)
- Try shutting down, rebooting or switching users from the KDE Plasma Desktop Workspace.
- Shutdown and restart should work.
- User switching should also work.